New guy here. Need some 4.2L help, badly. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New guy here. Need some 4.2L help, badly.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
1stuckdude

New guy here. Need some 4.2L help, badly.

Hello, i've been studying my Chiltons wiring diagram for the past few days and i am just plain stuck.

nearly 3 years ago my dad and i started a project on my highschool vehicle(87' 4.2 YJ)

Well long story short is that we yanked the motor to fix some leaks, got it in and halfway together, then lost interest. Plus we didnt label bolts/wires so the entire project was made more horrific then it should have been.(lesson learned)

Last week i got motivated and now today its just a little bit away from running again. I tried to start it and got nothing. The starter won't even crank. So i look around and find two green wires meant for the solenoid. One more try and it the starter solenoid made a pretty awful sound. No cranking though.(kind of like the annoying buzzing from the seatbelt sensor, but a little louder and a little worse.

I started digging through the mess of vacuum lines and found these two wires. Which i cannot locate on the wiring diagram:

Its a black wire and a red wire with hoops as if they are meant for a bolt, but i can't find anything they go to, Aside from putting the black wire on the block.

Everything else is hooked up and i can't help but think that these wires are the reason it won't crank.

1stuckdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I am not seeing an ignition coil in your setup.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
1stuckdude

Nope there is a coil there. The picture just doesnt show it. As far as i can tell its the OEM and i don't see a place where the wires would mount on the oem coil.
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
1stuckdude

Here is a picture that shows the coil. I can get more tomorrow if need be:

Unread 02-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
wessy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does the starter ratchet but the engine doesnt turn over becasue I am having the exact same problem

[COLOR="Red"]CANADIAN[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]WHEELER[/COLOR]
wessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
1stuckdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessy View Post
Does the starter ratchet but the engine doesnt turn over becasue I am having the exact same problem
whats the "ratchet" sound like?? Mine doesnt sound like the starter is turning at all.

I can get video of the sound tomorrow.
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
wessy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

a really loud clicking noise kinda my batery is full charged but I'm not getting any gas I dont think. it will smell like gas but it only turns over if I have it set on a 75 amp start with our wall charger then it really seems to chug like itis really cold out.

[COLOR="Red"]CANADIAN[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]WHEELER[/COLOR]
wessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
1stuckdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessy View Post
a really loud clicking noise kinda my batery is full charged but I'm not getting any gas I dont think. it will smell like gas but it only turns over if I have it set on a 75 amp start with our wall charger then it really seems to chug like itis really cold out.

hmmm, well i'll just get video then. I should have a video up tomorrow morning before 2pm(california time)
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
oldwindsurfer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The wires you are talking about seem to be the altitude jumper wires that if you are above 4000 feet youare supposed to hook them up.
oldwindsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
1stuckdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwindsurfer View Post
The wires you are talking about seem to be the altitude jumper wires that if you are above 4000 feet youare supposed to hook them up.
uhm what for and where to?? I'm not over 4000ft, but it may make the trip.

Anyhow here is that noise my jeep is making when i attempt to start it

http://media.putfile.com/Jeep-Noise
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
1stuckdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwindsurfer View Post
I found an article about the jumper wire and it makes mention of the black wire, but not the red wire...so any ideas?

damn 80s technology
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Basics
........OUT OF GEAR with parking brake set!!!!!!!!!
First continuity check the bat to sol wire and the sol to starter wire and ground check bat solenoid and starter.
Then disconnect any control wires (small ones on the two front studs)
1. Jump from known good 12 to each of those small studs one at a time. IF both power leads are good and the bat and starter are good you should get it to turn over.
2. If it clunks and turns over then your leads from the ignition switch are bad and trace them back to where you crushed them moving the engine around (not that I ever did that)
3. If you get no clunk or start, suspect the solenoid you can verify by jumping across the solenoid (use good jumper cables it could be a lot of juice).
4. If the solenoid makes a good clunk but still no turnover, then look at your starter. Best thing there is to take it out and bring it to the local parts house. Most have starter testing stations.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
1stuckdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Basics
........OUT OF GEAR with parking brake set!!!!!!!!!
First continuity check the bat to sol wire and the sol to starter wire and ground check bat solenoid and starter.
Then disconnect any control wires (small ones on the two front studs)
1. Jump from known good 12 to each of those small studs one at a time. IF both power leads are good and the bat and starter are good you should get it to turn over.
2. If it clunks and turns over then your leads from the ignition switch are bad and trace them back to where you crushed them moving the engine around (not that I ever did that)
3. If you get no clunk or start, suspect the solenoid you can verify by jumping across the solenoid (use good jumper cables it could be a lot of juice).
4. If the solenoid makes a good clunk but still no turnover, then look at your starter. Best thing there is to take it out and bring it to the local parts house. Most have starter testing stations.
Well that will be my next step. Everything worked great when we pulled the jeep apart. The start only has about 6months worth of us in it.

I borrowed a battery from my Buddy's 1980 cutlass. So i'm gonna go give that a try now.
Unread 02-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
1stuckdude

YES!, it was my battery. Even though it hasnt started yet, thats still one step closer to having it running again.
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck!
You've started down the path to the dirt side of the force!
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.