New fuel pump = bad gas mileage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New fuel pump = bad gas mileage?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

New fuel pump = bad gas mileage?

93 YJ 4.0L. My fuel pump went out the week after thanksgiving. I replaced it with a new pump and all seems good. Except for the fact that my gas mileage has droped big time. Before, I was getting 18-20MPG, now I cant get any better than 15-16. I dont get it? The fuel pump is the only thing that I changed (except filter) How can a new pump give me worse mileage? I havent noticed any change in power, no more or no less. Its not really cold down here yet, so I haveing been letting it idle in the AM to warm up. So its not that.

Any ideas??

The old pump was the factory one, made by bosh. The new pump looked just a little diffrent and was made by carter. But no one had a bosh pump, only the carter.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The only reason the pump would cause poor MPG is if it is not keeping up pressure/Volume wise.
Before you condem the pump check the other obvious things.
It might be something else that crapped out right after you changed the pump.
Just my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep
93 YJ 4.0L. My fuel pump went out the week after thanksgiving. I replaced it with a new pump and all seems good. Except for the fact that my gas mileage has droped big time. Before, I was getting 18-20MPG, now I cant get any better than 15-16. I dont get it? The fuel pump is the only thing that I changed (except filter) How can a new pump give me worse mileage? I havent noticed any change in power, no more or no less. Its not really cold down here yet, so I haveing been letting it idle in the AM to warm up. So its not that.

Any ideas??

The old pump was the factory one, made by bosh. The new pump looked just a little diffrent and was made by carter. But no one had a bosh pump, only the carter.

pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If yuo were getting 18-20 you are probably the only person who has ever gotten that kind of MPG in a YJ actually 15-18 is closer to real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942
The only reason the pump would cause poor MPG is if it is not keeping up pressure/Volume wise.
Before you condem the pump check the other obvious things.
It might be something else that crapped out right after you changed the pump.
Just my thoughts.
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the hoses that run from the tank to the frame with new ones. About $60 worth. High pressure hose is not cheap! But that about all I did. I picked up a large bottle of fuel injector cleaner, figured it couldnt hurt. Tomorrow I will check the fuel pressure, make sure its still up to par.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.