New cowl seal question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New cowl seal question

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

New cowl seal question

I am installing a new cowl seal and have it attached to the windshield frame with the small screws. I installed the frame back onto the jeep and when I fold the windshield back the top of the seal has a big gap along the frame. If I try to push the seal in further then it gaps bigger the further I push the frame back.

The only way I can get it to sit against the frame is to pull the bottom of the seal about a bit. Is the seal supposed to sit flat against both the frame and cowl.???

image.jpg  
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure I fully understand your problem fully but when I put my new cowl seal on, I had to do some trimming at the edges of the cowl seal so it would fit around the windshield hinges and not bulge out.
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My new one fits tight against the windshield (upper) a little gap against the cowl. I would rather have it sit tight against the windshield as water will roll down and pool in that gap, if not tight against the cowl it will run out and still be dry. I got mine from Morris and it fit without trimming. It does take some work attaching the roll bar to the windshield. For that I used two tie-downs running from the roll bar to the top of the windshield , I tightened them both evenly just till I could get the lower windshield bolts started, I then tightened the windshield bolts a few turns at a time on each side to pull it in evenly.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

That is went I meant to say... If you put the seal tight against the cowl the top of the seal gaps against the windshield frame. I thought it would be better to have it snug against w/s so I will need to pull it out at the bottom I guess....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.