New clutch kit, master, slave cylinder NOT disengaging clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New clutch kit, master, slave cylinder NOT disengaging clutch

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
BigOrange90YJ

New clutch kit, master, slave cylinder NOT disengaging clutch

I just went through hell and back taking out the transmission, rebuilding it and putting it back in with a new clutch kit, master cylinder and slave cylinder (internal, came with clutch kit). After I got everything hooked up and fired up the engine I could not put the transmission into any gear. I definitely am not looking forward to pulling it out again. Anything I should try before I do that to try and diagnose the problem?

I found this list on another thread:
Quote:
Clutch will not disengage:
1. low fluid.
2. Clutch cover loose
3. Disc bent, distortion during installation.
4. Wrong clutch disc.
5. Clutch cover diaphragm spring bent or warped during transmition installation.
6. clutch disc installed backwards.
7. Releae fork bent or fork pivot is loose or damaged.
8. Clutch master or slave cylinder fault.
9. Driver has a light foot.
As of right now I suspect all of these except # 9

Unread 06-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes they can really be a pain to get bled right. I would really suggest bleeding it some more first before I did anything.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post
Sometimes they can really be a pain to get bled right. I would really suggest bleeding it some more first before I did anything.
yeah, that's what I was going to do. I've never bled anything before so I'm still not too sure how to know if is bled all the way or not.
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange90YJ View Post
yeah, that's what I was going to do. I've never bled anything before so I'm still not too sure how to know if is bled all the way or not.
You could have several issues and I am no pro, there are many others here who know these transmissions better than me, but as far as bleeding, from your other thread(just in case):

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
Always easier when you can bleed the clutch on the bench, but when you can't, here is what I would do....first, get a helper, loosen the bleeder and have your helper hold a jar under it, then start pouring fluid into the master cylinder reservoir. Once fluid starts coming out the bleeder, stop pouring and tighten the bleeder valve. Next, put the cap back on the master cylinder reservoir and have your helper move to the driver's seat and push the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it. You get the jar and loosen the bleeder valve and hold the jar there to catch the fluid. Once it stops flowing, tighten the bleeder and then the helper can release the pedal, repeat. You will be able to hear the air. I had to refill my master every two times I bled, so keep an eye on the fluid level. I had to do this many many times to get all the air out. I originally did it twice, felt a better pedal and thought I was done. Weeks later I had the same issue with my pedal again. Point is, when you think it's done, do it a little more to be sure.
and also, could you say a little more about what it does when you try to get it in gear? Can you put it in gear when it is turned off? How does the pedal feel when it is running? Can you put it in gear while it is shut off, start it in gear(it will move of course) and then shift? Just things I noticed when I was having trouble with my BA-10. Your setup is very similar to what I am running.
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
BigOrange90YJ

I bled the hell out of it tonight, some more air came out but still no luck.

I can put it in gear when the engines off but only first and reverse for some reason. One time when I was testing the clutch by putting it in first while holding the clutch in I turned over the starter, the jeep jumped forward but it got stuck in 1st, I had to hop the jeep forward again to get it out of first.

I'm probably going to end up pulling it all apart tomorrow. I was going to check if the clutch plate is on right, I didn't check at all which way it went when I installed it. I'm new at this and didnt know it mattered. It probably says on it which is the sad part. I have the clutch cover bolted down at 30 ft/lbs because thats what is says to do on it.

I read somewhere the pilot bearing could cause some issues, when I was installing it I managed to pull a tiny bit of the rubber stuff under the rollers out of its place but it still seemed to roll and I had no other bearing to use so I went with it.

I thought I would also add my hydraulic tubing from the master to the slave is bent all weird from when I had a hard time getting it off the old master and then bending it back into shape to fit the direction I needed it to go.

Anything else I can rule out as a problem this next time I pull out the tranny along with checking if the friction plate is on correct?

Are there any tricks with just pulling out the tranny a little bit to check these things? So I don't have to take EVERYTHING apart to get to it.

Thank you all for your help.
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I can put it in gear when the engines off but only first and reverse for some reason. One time when I was testing the clutch by putting it in first while holding the clutch in I turned over the starter, the jeep jumped forward but it got stuck in 1st, I had to hop the jeep forward again to get it out of first.

I'm probably going to end up pulling it all apart tomorrow. I was going to check if the clutch plate is on right, I didn't check at all which way it went when I installed it. I'm new at this and didnt know it mattered. It probably says on it which is the sad part. I have the clutch cover bolted down at 30 ft/lbs because thats what is says to do on it.

I read somewhere the pilot bearing could cause some issues, when I was installing it I managed to pull a tiny bit of the rubber stuff under the rollers out of its place but it still seemed to roll and I had no other bearing to use so I went with it.

I thought I would also add my hydraulic tubing from the master to the slave is bent all weird from when I had a hard time getting it off the old master and then bending it back into shape to fit the direction I needed it to go.

Anything else I can rule out as a problem this next time I pull out the tranny along with checking if the friction plate is on correct?

Are there any tricks with just pulling out the tranny a little bit to check these things? So I don't have to take EVERYTHING apart to get to it.

I can't really help you with this but I feel your pain brother....

PS: I know that this is totally useless to you. Just wanted to sympathize since I just put in a new clutch kit on my YJ and i know how brutal it can be for newbies like us...
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

Listen, stop sweating pulling the transmission off again, trust me, it won't be half as bad, it becomes second nature.
Two things come to mind, first, you can only get it into first and reverse when the engine is shut off and second the line from the master to the slave. I think these are great clues as to your problem. I suspect opihi will post here soon based on his time zone, but if not, send a pm to him and Mean Max about your last post, I think they would have things to help you narrow down your issue. To me it sounds more like mechanical because you only have first and reverse with the engine off. Typically, (at the initial stages)with the engine shut off and a hydraulic issue, you can get to every gear. Then again, you mention that when you start it in gear with the clutch in, it moved. Like I said though, I am no expert, but hang in there!
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
BigOrange90YJ

I was able to shift through all the gears when it was on the floor of my garage though.
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I was able to shift through all the gears when it was on the floor of my garage though.
so which is it then? Earlier you posted only able to shift to first and reverse with engine off, now you say you can shift though all gears...is that with engine off or...? Help us help you.
Unread 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
BigOrange90YJ

Both, It shifted through all gears on my garage floor but only goes into first and reverse in the jeep.
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Both, It shifted through all gears on my garage floor but only goes into first and reverse in the jeep.
ah, ok, thanks. I thought you were saying when the jeep was on the garage floor, sorry, my mistake, not yours. Still sounds like a clutch issue though. Again, it sounds to me like mechanical clutch issue though, not hydraulic, but I am not the one to ask as I have not dealt with mechanical issues. I know it's a holiday weekend, but did you PM Opihi and Mean Max?
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
BigOrange90YJ

I did not. I decided to bring it to my buddy's shop, a prestigious shop around here I might add, where there is plenty of knowledge and adequate tools to get the job done right and timely, will be working on it Tuesday due to the long holiday weekend.

I will post up what was actually wrong with it. Appreciate your help.
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bleed the clutch.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nembudonna View Post
Bleed the clutch.
clutch is properly bled
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you keep the master full all the time?
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.