New Catalytic converter but it gets really hot and smell real bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Catalytic converter but it gets really hot and smell real bad

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

New Catalytic converter but it gets really hot and smell real bad

Ijust installed a MagnaFlow California - Universal Catalytic Converter welded it in but when i accelarate with my windows down it smells BAD its like a harsh smell. It has 2 little leaks infront of the cat. that ima plug with exhaust tape i saw at the auto part store caus e i couldn't get the welder to it d today I realized it gets really hot.

could i have put it on upside down would that affect it?
could it be the leaks causing the smell?
what can i do about the heat issue? O2 sencer?

JeepingShtHpns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Catalytic Converters will smell bad when they are new. Its part of the chemical reaction that goes on in the converter. They also get extremely hot to make the reaction happen faster. Sounds normal to me.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you the smell is like a chemical smell it feels like it burns my nose hairs lol how do you know if your O2 sencer is bad?
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

could be a combination of the new catalyst reaction combined with the usual "new exhaust" smell burning off the light oil coating that's usually left by the production process
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Dirttracker18
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why did you change the original cat?

If it went bad then you simply fixed the symptom and not the problem by changing the cat out. Cats don't wear out, something upstream damaged it. If you do not fix that, you will be changing another cat.
Dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How long should that smell last? it has been like a week now.
And i changed it because it wouldnt pass emmisions i got a new o2 sencer when i bought it like 7 months ago and i got a new 2BB carb.
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Does it smell like a sulfer smell?

Edit: holy **** you're in canyon country. I grew up in saugus and live in Elizabeth lake now. Maybe I can check it out for ya

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

that would be cool and kind of a harsh smell it makes your stomach turn and the hairs stand up on the back of you neck
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

and my girlfriend says it smells like stong hair dye.
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Would you compare the smell to sulfer or rotten eggs? If so you are most likely running very rich. Raw gas making it to the cat will kill them fast. Are you still running the carter carb. If not your oxygen sensor is pretty useless and you should look into the nutter bypass.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
JeepingShtHpns
1988 YJ Wrangler 

it is more of a sulfer smell cause it sure and hell dont smell like rotten eggs. i am still running the carb. and i know the air/fuel mixture on the carb is not correct. how can i check the O2 sencor?
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirttracker18 View Post
Why did you change the original cat?

If it went bad then you simply fixed the symptom and not the problem by changing the cat out. Cats don't wear out, something upstream damaged it. If you do not fix that, you will be changing another cat.
Yes they do, Its a chemical reaction going on inside that thing, eventually you run out of chemicals. But your right more often than not the honeycomb blows up before that happens.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would check your tune and quick!
The cat will have a little bit of forming lubicant on it but that will go away in minutes of running. If it is running hot and has a strong bad smell like you say there is too much fuel being burned in it and the only place that will come from is a too rich running engine. I know of two cases where a stuck choke started grass on fire from the cat being over worked and getting red hot.
If you run it rich for too long it will clog the passages.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Turn your carb lean screw to lean it out until the idle starts to get a little rough and then richen it by 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and you should be good.
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
Yes they do, Its a chemical reaction going on inside that thing, eventually you run out of chemicals. But your right more often than not the honeycomb blows up before that happens.
Practically they never run out of chemical. The elements in the blended in the catalytic matrix aren't used, they just promote the reaction without becoming part of it (very simplified they give the swing a push but don't ride it).
They do wear out if they get too hot and melt the matrix, have chemicals run through them that coat the matrix and prevent the catalytic reaction or get physically blocked or damaged. otherwise they are good enough for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Also you can get decent bucks for reycling old ones. The Platinum and Paladium in there can be recovered.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.