New carb tomorrow! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New carb tomorrow!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 06-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
alexladwig
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New carb tomorrow!

Hey all,

Installing my new motorcraft 2150 carb tomorrow and just curious, what would you also recommend replacing/fixing while I have carb off? Gaskets? Electrical stuff? I'm looking for suggestions so anyone's two cents is appreciated! Also installing new brown dog motor mounts!

Thank you!!!

alexladwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i would remove all the extra junk form the engine bay. those little valves hanging off the firewall, redo the vacuum lines, check the wiring for the starter and alternator to make sure the connections are tight
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, all the extra junk hanging around the engine compartment really is there for the Carter carb and its now useless. Do the Nutter bypass and you can even remove the ECU and associated wiring. Your YJ has a lot of doubled up sensors, one for the ECU and the other for gauges. I did mine and I had two shopping bags full of useless crap, one vacuum and solenoids, the other full of sensors and wiring I pulled from the loom.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
alexladwig
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
i would remove all the extra junk form the engine bay. those little valves hanging off the firewall, redo the vacuum lines, check the wiring for the starter and alternator to make sure the connections are tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ
Yeah, all the extra junk hanging around the engine compartment really is there for the Carter carb and its now useless. Do the Nutter bypass and you can even remove the ECU and associated wiring. Your YJ has a lot of doubled up sensors, one for the ECU and the other for gauges. I did mine and I had two shopping bags full of useless crap, one vacuum and solenoids, the other full of sensors and wiring I pulled from the loom.
So I can remove a lot of those vacuum lines and it won't affect the performance or make me not pass smog? I'm in California (unfortunately) so is the nutter bypass compliant with California smog?

Thanks again for the advice!
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No, the Nutter isn't compliant with California smog rules.

From what I hear, any change to the carb is not in compliance with California smog.

You will have a hard time getting to run right unless you do the Nutter. The computer controlled stock carb is a part of the whole system. Once you take that away, the computer will be trying to regulate the carb but won't be able to because it isn't there anymore.

You really need to rethink your plan.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
alexladwig
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron
No, the Nutter isn't compliant with California smog rules.

From what I hear, any change to the carb is not in compliance with California smog.

You will have a hard time getting to run right unless you do the Nutter. The computer controlled stock carb is a part of the whole system. Once you take that away, the computer will be trying to regulate the carb but won't be able to because it isn't there anymore.

You really need to rethink your plan.
Hmmm. So I bought the carb from the Colorado guy on eBay and through talking with him, he said the visual aspect is the only thing that people have had issues with as far as smog in CA. So he gave me instructions on how to modify the existing air box so it covers the new carb to pass inspection. BS, I know.

Did I get scammed?
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, if they don't figure out what you did, then maybe you'll be okay.

I'll let people from California answer further on what you can get away with.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oh man, i would be worried on that one. i guess you will have to try it out to find out if it will pass

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.