New Calif Smog Legal Carburetor for a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Calif Smog Legal Carburetor for a YJ

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
abavetta

New Calif Smog Legal Carburetor for a YJ

I have a pretty much stock 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a 258 cu in inline 6 CY engine. I think the carburetor is a Carter 2 barrel design. I want to put on a new carburetor. So before you can say Weber I live in CA so it has to pass smog. I've looked online and at places like Summit Racing and can't find anything. Can anybody make a suggestion? I would appreciate it my car is hard to start and the choke sticks in the closed position and if I manage to start it by holding the choke open it doesn't run all that well and its only got 57,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance.
Andy

abavetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

The only thing that passes cali smog is another stock carter or a fuel injection swap( Howell or Mopar) costing a few grand by the time you are done.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The Carter is a good carb, else it wouldn't have been OEM from Detroit for more than 40 years.

Like any other carb, they need regular servicing. There are more than 15 settings and adjustments that must be right on these carbs for them to function to specs. Get it right, and it will be trouble free. Get it wrong and the engine won't run or will run poorly.

Even a quality rebuilt carb needs to have all the settings checked. Rebuilding carbs is fast becoming a lost art, but it is still being done.

I try to buy every BBD I can find from owners that think they are junk, I have never bought one that had already had the (factory recommended) idle tube mod done. That tells me something about how quick some are to blame the "crappy Carter" for their problems.
Unread 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try cleaning out the venturi tubes. There is NO other carb that'll pass CA smog. If I kept the venuri's cleaned on mine it would run well, but if I made too many changes in elevation it wouldn't hardly run at all. I did and would suggest if you've got the money going with a Howell Fuel Injection kit.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
acehatz
1982 CJ7 

Hi get the Howell efi system.it is.Calif smog legal amd is c.a.r.b. certified it will cost you around 1200.00
But well worth it all the orig smog off your y.j goes away. The instruction are great and very easy to install
I did 2 installs . Well worth the money
acehatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing that he figured something out in the last 5 years.

But FWIW, I'm very happy with my Howell too.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.