New battery + working alternator = battery still won't charge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New battery + working alternator = battery still won't charge

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
pyro9862

New battery + working alternator = battery still won't charge

I've been having charging problems for a while now. I changed the battery, I have about 14v at the terminals when it's running. I tried new terminals and cables and thought I fixed the problem. This is fruitless, the battery is now always dead within a day. I've tested for draw and don't see anything, hell I disconnect the battery and get the same thing. Anyone have any ideas? Did I just draw two dud batteries of different brands in a row?

pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

If you disconnect the batt and get a dead one the next day then it is definatly your batt.

What are your rig specs man??? Depending on the year, it can be a few things if it is not the batt. So if you could please fill out your userCP with at least year model and motor etc, that will help in the future.

Your current problem is most definatly the batt.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
pyro9862

It's a 1988 4.2l YJ, sorry I neglected to mention that.
I guess I'll try yet another battery and see what happens. Is it possible something is wrong with the Jeep that it's just destroying the batteries (yes the cables are on the right way)?
I took the first battery out because it went bad. Then someone gave me a brand new battery so I took the two year old working battery out of my truck and put it in the Jeep. Within a week it was shot. So I bought a brand new one and now it's shot too.

I tried putting a battery charger on it. When I hooked up the charger I had .3v even though the Jeep was run within two hours. I already tested for a draw so where that power is going is a mystery. I used the 12amp fast charge and within ten minutes the battery was 50% charged. That seemed way too fast too me and must have been since it aborted the charge and said it couldn't charge the battery. I tried starting over and the battery only had.6v in it upon reconnecting the charger a minute later. Again it gave me the error. I'm trying one final time right now to charge it to see what happens. Next I'm going to try charging one of the ones I previously removed and see what happens.

Last edited by pyro9862; 10-28-2007 at 03:36 PM..
Unread 10-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
rebuiltyj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i had a problem with a battery not charging before. so i took the alternator to autozone and they said it was fine. then i had the battery tested and they said that was bad but the problem continued. i had the alternator tested a few more times and they said it was good but the battery wasnt charging so i just went and replaced the alternater. i didnt have any problems after that. im not sure if that helps you at all but goodluck.
rebuiltyj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Take the new one back to wherever you got it and have it tested. After what you just said with the charger, I would have to say the batt is still the problem.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
pyro9862

On the third time she charged all the way to 100%. I did switch the ground that time so I suppose that it's possible I had a bad ground on it the first and second time. She starts and runs like a champ for right now but I doubt it's going to last long.
Unread 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
On the third time she charged all the way to 100%. I did switch the ground that time so I suppose that it's possible I had a bad ground on it the first and second time. She starts and runs like a champ for right now but I doubt it's going to last long.
if you've got 14 volts at the battery terminals then the alt is putting out. the battery alone will only give you about 12. throw all your accessories on when the jeep is running and test again to do a load test on the alt. if you still have 14v (you may need to rev the engine a bit) then the alt should be good. make sure you test against the terminals themselves and not at the cable clamps as a bad connection between the two could give you a false reading.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

One thing you may want to check is a good body ground. There should be a ground strap going from one of the head bolts to the firewall. Check those connections. It also wouldn't hurt to have one from the NEG battery term to the fender or firewall.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.