New Battery - Now no crank - Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Battery - Now no crank - Help

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

New Battery - Now no crank - Help

My YJ has been running great. I have a howell kit.

So I swapped out the battery, and now nothing. It wont even crank over. I thought maybe I got a bum battery, so I put the one that I just took out, still nothing. No crank, nothing. When I ACC the key, I hear the fuel pump prime like usual, but continue turning and nada.... I checked fuses at mini howell fuse box and they are all good.
Any ideas?

Double_DD-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bad battery cables or bad connections at grounds or at starter.

Turn the headlights on and try to crank it. What happens?
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

Headlights on, turn key = nothing. Headlights stayed on like normal. Seems like the headlights should dim / go off during cranking, but they did no change.
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
djm1995wrnglr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad starter solenoid or high resistance in your positive cable. Make sure both positive and negative connections to the battery are clean. If not use some water and baking soda to clean them. Also do a visual inspection on both positive and negative cables. If either one has any bubbles in the insulation replace it. If all that checks out "good" I would guess starter solenoid. The only way to be sure what's causing your "no crank" complaint would involve a volt meter and a few simple volt drops.
djm1995wrnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

Where do i check for drops? The starter (and soleniod) are new... Plus this has been running great. Yesterday no troubles. Today, different battery, troubles.

Anyway, where do I check for volage drops??

Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds simple but I bet your connections are dirty, corroded or aren't making a clean connection, my 91 did the same thing. Clean, scrub, sand, etc ALL your grounds and wires on the battery to the starter, ground, and all that. Trust me, they're finicky. Should be a real simple fix if all you did was switch batteries.

If not, you've got the pos and neg cables switched or some ****. Good luck, don't get shocked cause it sucks and keep us posted.
-JDub
**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
RedRockRed
2010 JK Wrangler 

Don't overlook the starter relay. A new battery may have been too much for the innards of a 20 year-old relay.
RedRockRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
djm1995wrnglr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The first volt drop you should do is from the center of the positive battery post to the cables connector that is on the post. It should read really low like 0 volts or in the milli volts witch looks like mV on a digital volt meter. Anything higher than that you have a bad connection. Then you should do the same thing on your negative side and the same rules apply.

Like RedRockRed said the relay is another easy place to look. easiest way to check it is use your voltmeter and check from the small wire on your solenoid to ground and turn the key. It should read really close to battery voltage. If its bad it will read 0 volts.
djm1995wrnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
tiptoptune

fusible link
tiptoptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

I did the starter solenoid, touching posts trick and it fires right up. So that leads me to one of two things, starter solenoid or ignition switch. So buy new solenoid and switch (just in case).

I start w/ solenoid. I took off and swapped one bolt at a time, so I wouldn't miss or put stuff on the wrong bolt.
I got the solenoid put back together, go to fire it up and it trying to fire but sounds like the starter keeps wanting to engage. So I am thinking that the two wires on the top of my solenoid are crossed or something.

So my long winded question, the two wires on top (ignition,starter), where do they go (to witch post). I've tried different combinations, the only one that does ANYTHING is when they are on the SAME post on the battery side.

Please help if you can.
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am assuming you have a "Ford style" solenoid mounted on the firewall. There should be 3 wires going to the solenoid. One big wire coming from the battery. One big wire going out to the starter. Then a small wire, which is the trigger, coming indirectly from the key by way of some kind of starter relay.

Unhook the small wire. Run a small wire directly from the battery and touch it to where you just unhooked the small wire. Does this make the starter crank?

If yes, then the problem is between the solenoid and the key.

Get a wiring diagram for the starter relay and a test light. Figure out which wire is the one coming from the key and use the test light to see if it is getting power when the key is cranked.

If yes, then the starter relay is bad, replace it. If no, then either keep working your way back toward the starter key or rewire it with a manual starter button.

BTW, did you check the fuses in the regular fuse box inside the vehicle? If not, do that first.

see this thread and threads linked in last post. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...iagram-659144/
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had this happen - turns out I have some type of security system on the Jeep with a hidden bypass button.

If a thief ever unconnects, then reconnects, my battery before trying to start it - he'll have a tough time starting it without knowing where that button is.
Mambo_Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help all. Since the YJ was sold, I couldnt waste anymore time chasing gremlins. So I took it to the shop. Took them about a half hour to find that it was a faulty wire and loose grounds. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Now I am off to JK land.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.