New alternator and a puff of smoke. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New alternator and a puff of smoke.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Phantomprophet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

New alternator and a puff of smoke.

'93 YJ 4.0 inline 6.
Last week my battery and alternator decided to gang up on me and quit at the same time.
I replaced the battery with an optima yellow top and got a standard replacement for the alternator.
I finished installing the alternator and started the Jeep up successfully.
I turned her off. Then tried to start it back up and there was no reaction aside from a small puff of smoke (I could not locate the origin).
Now I don't seem to get any power. It doesn't try to turn over and the headlights don't turn on.
Anyone got a clue?
Any help is appreciated.

Phantomprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would look at the fuseable links just under the battery tray. There is a relay where quite a few wires come together.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Phantomprophet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply!
Do you mean the fuse box right next to the battery or do you mean there is something I should check below (under) the battery tray? I thought there was just empty space and some body support stuff under there.
If you mean the fuse box right next to the battery then yes, I already checked the fuses in there and they all seem to be fine.
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
titosgreen95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i believe theres 2 50 amp maxi fuses... i only know this because i shorted out my mine putting on an alternator .... hope its that easy for yea..... check your terminals are snugged down good...
titosgreen95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Phantomprophet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titosgreen95yj View Post
i believe theres 2 50 amp maxi fuses... i only know this because i shorted out my mine putting on an alternator .... hope its that easy for yea..... check your terminals are snugged down good...
Located where? In the fuse box by the battery? I looked in there and didn't see any blown fuses. In line somewhere? Is there some other place I should look?
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Phantomprophet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The terminals on the battery or the Alternator? Both are snug. I was able to test the battery with the bad alternator still in place. I could start the Jeep but the voltage was really low when I turned on lights, stereo, etc.
The one time I got the Jeep to start with the new alternator the voltage looked good with the lights on so I thought I was in the clear. Turns out... not so much.
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

under the battery box there is (at least on mine) a connection with many fusible links. Its way to the bottom almost but under the battery box.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
under the battery box there is (at least on mine) a connection with many fusible links. Its way to the bottom almost but under the battery box.
He has a PDC, No fusuble links it uses maxi fuses.
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you don't have one, it is time to get a good 30 to 40 dollar voltmeter, jumper clip leads and a test light, you may also want to get a battery charger.
Start with the battery and work outward, PDC, alternator, starter. Check the black ground cables, when we say check, remove them, twist them to make certain they don't fall apart, clean until shiny and re-install. As nothing works, it is going to be simple, bad ground cable or bad battery to PDC. I'm guessing, but the "puff of smoke" was probably the last gasp from a defective cable, either red or black, but from the battery to PDC or battery to ground(s).
Just because the fuses "look" good doesn't mean they are good. As for the "puff" of smoke? Where did it come from, dashboard, ignition switch, engine compartment?

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , electrical , power , power loss , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.