New 95' YJ Rio Grande Owner with a turn signal/front running light quesiton - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
patmw123
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 2
New 95' YJ Rio Grande Owner-turn signal/front running light quesiton. Please Help

I recently purchased my first Jeep, a 5 speed 95 Rio Grande. I have enjoyed everything so far with the car but I am having one issue with the passenger side front turn signal/running light. The turn signal has occasionally acted as if the front bulb needed to be replaced (by having the signal stick to the on position and not flashing). However, a quick tap or two on the outside of the light on the front of the vehicle fixes this issue and the signal turns on. This problem occurs frequently. In addition, that same light doesn't seem to work at all as a running light when the lights are on. Are there any suggestions on what this may sound like to you all with experience? I have switched the bulbs so the bulbs are not the issue I do not think. If there are more details I can provide please let me know. Thanks for your help.

patmw123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM
boujo
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: EHT
Posts: 78
I would say a bad ground, but I am really bad with electrical
boujo is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 813
X2 here. Pull the connector apart and see if it's green with corrosion and clean it up and do the same for the bulb and socket. Hell you might want to do all of your lights while your at it.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
patmw123
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
X2 here. Pull the connector apart and see if it's green with corrosion and clean it up and do the same for the bulb and socket. Hell you might want to do all of your lights while your at it.
Sure enough a little corrosion had gotten on the connector and I was able to simply scrape the corrosion off. Thanks for the help!
patmw123 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmw123 View Post
Sure enough a little corrosion had gotten on the connector and I was able to simply scrape the corrosion off. Thanks for the help!
No problem, glad to help.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
metalhead
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southampton, Pa
Posts: 1,272
Had same problem with my recently purchased 94. How it passed inspection is beyond me. On mine I had to replace the socket because the pins were broken.
metalhead is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
RainShadow
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 42
1995 YJ Rio Grande

Howdy -- welcome. I have the same year/model as your's.

I have all kinds of these issues from the Jeep sitting for months at
a time outside near the beach. Just take ALL of them apart and clean
them up. I also had an issue with my dash lights inside and I got some
electric spray and did a few shots into the dial/dimmer and that worked.
You will also run into issues with your door locks (all of them). Go by your
trusty locksmith and buy some of that lock spray they have and spray inside
the lock mechanism and turn the key about 10 times. Do this about every
few months .....

Have fun !!!!! Randy from Oceanside
RainShadow is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainShadow View Post
Howdy -- welcome. I have the same year/model as your's.

I have all kinds of these issues from the Jeep sitting for months at
a time outside near the beach. Just take ALL of them apart and clean
them up. I also had an issue with my dash lights inside and I got some
electric spray and did a few shots into the dial/dimmer and that worked.
You will also run into issues with your door locks (all of them). Go by your
trusty locksmith and buy some of that lock spray they have and spray inside
the lock mechanism and turn the key about 10 times. Do this about every
few months .....

Have fun !!!!! Randy from Oceanside
Good advise Randy! But like a lot of us, I'd rather drive it than work on it! It's way more fun!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome