New 1993 Jeep YJ owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New 1993 Jeep YJ owner

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
zdienasty

New 1993 Jeep YJ owner

Hey everyone. I may take ownership of my dads 1993 jeep wrangler. Now I have never had a car like this so I have a few questions, because if I do take over the jeep it means ill be giving me new car lease over to my sister since she is starting college soon.

1. 3rd gear crunches during quick throws so I have to double clutch it to find the sweet spot. Does this cost alot of money to fix? Its a 1993 car so im not sure how easy it would be to find the parts.

2. Due to the heavy wheels my dad added years back. The car is now having trouble on the freeway. Maxing at about 60 miles per hour. Is their anyway to fix this? If so how much would it cost?

The reason I ask is because im not sure if this fixer upper will put me in a bigger hole financially than it would be to just stick with my lease.

Thanks to anyone that replies. I think this car is awesome and I would love to have it.

zdienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The parts are readily available to fix mostly anything that breaks. I can't comment on the price for that.

The easiest thing to do to fix the speed sustainability would be to get smaller tires. The second thing you can do would be regear. It can run around $500 per axle if I remember right(never done it, just read about it here).
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

so you have a 4 cylinder engine? i would drop down to normal size tires if most of your driving is on road. the trans grind only does it when speed shifting? i would just not speed shift, ha ha ha.
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdienasty View Post
...The reason I ask is because im not sure if this fixer upper will put me in a bigger hole financially than it would be to just stick with my lease.
It will put you in the hole. I think it's safe to say that everyone here puts more into our Jeeps then we want to (but we LOVE IT!). It sounds corny but owning an older Jeep is a commitment. You have to be willing to do all the work yourself. Things always break and your always looking to upgrade something. Parts are easy to get and comparatively cheap to other vehicles. It's the easiest vehicle to work on and you won't find better help than here.

Bottom line: to make this your dependable daily driver, you have to be willing to work on it.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Adams77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
It will put you in the hole. I think it's safe to say that everyone here puts more into our Jeeps then we want to (but we LOVE IT!). It sounds corny but owning an older Jeep is a commitment. You have to be willing to do all the work yourself. Things always break and your always looking to upgrade something. Parts are easy to get and comparatively cheap to other vehicles. It's the easiest vehicle to work on and you won't find better help than here.

Bottom line: to make this your dependable daily driver, you have to be willing to work on it.

Agreed!
Adams77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

they only break if you off road them alot. i haven't worked on mine in a long long time. if you use it on road only (like me, i live by the beach with no 4x4 areas around), it will be just like owning a normal vehicle, just this one is way cooler and people will talk to you and wave to you all the time
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

J Just
E Empty
E Every
P Pocket

They can be very reliable, but it is a 20 year old rig. If you are just going to drive it on the street put smaller tires on it & go. 90% of the $$$ I put into my YJ was for modifications not repairs. Take that top off and drive it around a while and you'll be hooked!

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am in agreement with the earlier comments . owning a Jeep is a lifeStyle Choice !!!
My advice would be do some reading on this forum , look at the what did you do to your YJ today thread , and look at some of the " build threads " . I believe Lucca is in your area he is a great resource . His build is pretty much set up as a daily driver , that has fun on the weekend .
My point is see what we are putting ourselves through . If you decide it's for you Then welcome to the sickness and ,you're in the right place if you need any help. Don't be scared if I can do it anyone can

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think y'all scared him off. LMFAO!
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

But when they break down, you still tend to make it home! Granted, it may be on three wheels and a log, but still!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.