Never trust your Jeep with Firestone!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Never trust your Jeep with Firestone!!!

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 10-07-2002, 09:15 PM   #1
WranglerYJ94

Never trust your Jeep with Firestone!!!

I just spent $600+ on new 31x10.50 and 15x8 chrome rims from Firestone. Got the mounted, balanced, the whole bit last Friday. I thought I was ready to roll, good to go. Been driving around for a week now, and today I was turning into my girlfriends neighborhood and i hear clunk clunk clunk boom boom etc... look at my LR tire and its wobbling all to hell. @#%^@#!!!!!!! I didnt have a deep enough socket to fit the lugnuts so I went to a service station a block away. I pulled in and he said "holy $#!T" Turns out NONE of my lugnuts were torqued down, but lucky for me only the LR actually came loose. I tightened them down at the station, lucky for me the studs didnt break off. I'm going up there tomorrow and telling him he is going to put new studs and lugnuts on all 4 corners. Basically put a long story short, NEVER GO TO FIRESTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
WranglerYJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2002, 09:29 PM   #2
thecarman

Isn't Firestone just the maker of the tires. If so it wouldn't be their fault if the lugnuts aren't torqued down. It could have been the guy that put them on forgot to, and it may have been YOUR fault as well because 30 miles after they are put on you are supposed to take it back to them and have them tighten the lugnuts down once and for all, because they have a tendency to come loose or something the first 30 miles. Happened to me as well. Wasn't their fault, I forgot to torque them down after 30 miles.
Unread 10-07-2002, 09:30 PM   #3
St.LJustin

Not to doubt that they didn't torque the bolts but are you sure they didn't loosen themselves? When I got a flat, the lug nuts loosened themselves on the spare a couple days later and I had to tighten them again. I knew it was loose because I could hear it for the entire day. Was the loud bang right after the clunks or were you hearing the clunks before? I would imagine that if they didn't tighten them at the shop, you would notice it as soon as you pulled away.

Again, I'm not trying to doubt you but I have a close friend who works at Firestone I know for a fact that as standard procedure, they check all the lugs twice before lowering the vehicle because I've watched them do it and asked my friend about it.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2002, 09:55 PM   #4
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was driving on the highway and I had to pull over because I heard this loud clunking sound from the rear. So when I got out to see what was wrong I finally noticed that the right rear passenger wheel had almost completely come off the studs. It was sitting on only a quarter of an inch left of studs with absolutely no lug nuts left on. You can probably guess I was a little rattled after that. No damage was done especially none to myself, thank God, but every month I check my lugs to make sure they are tightenned. I think what happenned was when we checked the brakes we just never tightened down that one wheel.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by thecarman
Isn't Firestone just the maker of the tires. If so it wouldn't be their fault if the lugnuts aren't torqued down. It could have been the guy that put them on forgot to, and it may have been YOUR fault as well because 30 miles after they are put on you are supposed to take it back to them and have them tighten the lugnuts down once and for all, because they have a tendency to come loose or something the first 30 miles. Happened to me as well. Wasn't their fault, I forgot to torque them down after 30 miles.
Firestones also have their own stores, well here in AZ they do...

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2002, 10:15 PM   #6
WranglerYJ94

Well I guess it should have been Firestone's responsibility to tell me, as a customer, to bring it back after 30 miles to check the lugnuts, which they failed to do. I used to work in service at a Toyota dealership and no one was ever told to make sure the customer comes back after 30 miles after a rotate, new tires, new wheels, etc. I do not have Firestone tires. I am talking about the Firestone service stations. Yes, I am blaming whoever worked on my Jeep because all my lugnuts were hand tight and the guy at Exxon that does tires for a living told me hes never seen anything like it. He told me "if i were you id be up there at 730am givin them hell!" I could have been killed! Anyways, I'm glad Im safe and all i need is new studs and lugs.
Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
Unread 10-07-2002, 10:48 PM   #7
St.LJustin

Re: .

Quote:
Originally posted by WranglerYJ94
Anyways, I'm glad Im safe and all i need is new studs and lugs.
Amen to that. Yeah, the lug nuts can come loose if they are tightened correctly but this rarely happens. I also have never heard of checking the lugs 30 miles after installation either. If it were me, I'd do the same thing you're going to do. Good luck.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 12:51 PM   #8
chambers1517

firestone

I went to firestone to have my ac serviced. I thought I would let them change the oil and check the brakes while they had it. I have a ford 8.8 in the rear. After 6 hours I was told they couldn't add any freon because they couldn't get the valves loose and were afraid they would break. They said they would totally rebuild the rear brakes for 600 bucks. It seems you can't turn ford rear rotors ,too thin. They also said they would rebuild the emergency brake or it would fail. I said no thanks ,I paid 600 for the whole rearend. Basically I spent 70 bucks for an oil change. See ya firestone..
chambers1517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
Mels95YJ

Re: .

Quote:
Originally posted by WranglerYJ94
Well I guess it should have been Firestone's responsibility to tell me, as a customer, to bring it back after 30 miles to check the lugnuts, which they failed to do.
If they gave you any type of printout, you may want to look on that. When I bought my MT/R's from Wal-Mart, they didn't tell me to bring it back either, but when I was looking at the receipt, it said to bring it back after 50 miles. I don't think it has anything to do with the lugnuts, but something with rebalancing them. I've read something about having a break-in period. I'm not taking up for them, just saying they might've had it somewhere else. If not, then I don't know what to tell ya. Glad to see nobody was injured.

Mel
Unread 10-09-2002, 01:42 PM   #10
GASPEDDLER

TWO GOOD RULES OF THUMB:

1. ALWAYS HITCH YOUR OWN TRAILER.

2. ALWAYS STAND BEHIND THE GUY TIGHTENING YOUR LUG NUTS.
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 01:44 PM   #11
RICK'S92TJ

I took my wife's Ranger to the Shell station here to have her tires rotated. They told me to bring it back after 50 miles to have the lug nuts rechecked. I asked why, they said with dissimilar metals that they could come lose. She had aluminum rims.
Unread 10-09-2002, 09:48 PM   #12
Bob K

Yes. Lug nuts should be retorqued after a few dozen miles on alloy rims. The alloys are a much softer material than the lug nuts.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 10:11 PM   #13
WranglerYJ94

safe

Just took my Jeep into Firestone today. Gave the guy real hell and he apologized, but he said "on the lighter note we got satellite TV in the waiting room!" How ridiculous can you get? I mean come on, I was almost killed. He kept explaining to me what an impact wrench was and how it's used. I told him that I worked at a Toyota dealership over the summer in service doing tires and oil changes and I knew what it was since I used on every day. He was speechless. I also commented on how my supervisor would not let the engine be started until each lugnut was tightened with a torque wrench. He was also speechless here and said something like "well we use dependable air tools and have never had a problem." I said "well you've got a big one now, and your damn lucky im standing here telling you this or else you'd have a real problem!" Basically they are idiots, and they will NEVER on earth be allowed to touch my Jeep again. BTW- got new studs and lugs out of em!
Hoorayyyyy Jeeps!
John
Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.