Never driven another YJ - tranny clanking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Never driven another YJ - tranny clanking

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 01-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Never driven another YJ - tranny clanking

I've never driven another YJ than mine before or any other AX15 trannied vehicle. so have nothing to compare noise and feel to.

Basically, ever since I've owned the vehicle, it has had a few minor transmission idiosyncrasies. All in all it is a solid driving tranny and I have no complaints - just curious about this:

When in first gear, if I don't match the engine speed with the tranny speed just perfectly, it'll clunk. Its almost like there is driveline slack or something. In fact, if I am slowing down still in first like coming up to a rolling stop or to drive through a street side gutter or something, I've gotten in the habit of pushing in the clutch, then adding a bit of gas before releasing again to prevent the clunk. If I leave it in gear, as I pass through that "zero torque" zone between where the engine is powering the wheels or acting as an engine break, it'll clunk. Occasionally, I've had some old lady pull out in front of me in a parking lot situation and I have to slam on the breaks while still in gear in first (going slow) and it'll clank fairly badly if I don't time pedal usage just perfectly.

I hope I have described this enough.

It'll hardly ever do it in 2nd, but does in just the right conditions. 3rd, 4th, and 5th are just fine - probably the higher gear ratio masks it, not sure.

Tranny is smooth otherwise, strong, never falls out of gear, no strange noises, smooth shifting all in all.

Unread 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check the transmission mount.

If that checks good, could be various other things, U-joint, slop in the rear pinion gear->ring gear mesh, loose u-bolts on the rear axle, a couple other things I can't think of right now.

I'm betting transmission mount though.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ive been reluctant to change the mount because Ive heard that those cross member bolts can be quite the nightmare. If they strip out, what then?

Also, to describe the situation a bit better, Ive gotten in the habit of pressing the clutch in really slowly when coming to a stop from first - like parking. if the rpm isnt matched just right, pushing in the clutch from first will often produce the clunk.
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryris View Post
Ive been reluctant to change the mount because Ive heard that those cross member bolts can be quite the nightmare. If they strip out, what then?

Also, to describe the situation a bit better, Ive gotten in the habit of pressing the clutch in really slowly when coming to a stop from first - like parking. if the rpm isnt matched just right, pushing in the clutch from first will often produce the clunk.
Sounds just like a tranny mount to me, but could be other things.

If they strip you gotta weld in new nuts or use nutzerts of some sort.

I'd get to checking on the transmission mount. If its not functioning properly it can cause the engine mounts to wear faster too.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.