Negitive arch/spring inversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Negitive arch/spring inversion

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Negative arch/spring inversion

My stock springs are flat! I know this is common for stock yj springs, but to get any flex they go negative immediately. How bad is this for the spring? A lift is currently out of the question so what is my best option to ditch the shackle lift and stop going negitive? I've thought about waggy springs and doing a tiny stretch plus that extra lift. Although I've heard they bend really easy. The only other option I've heard is a bastard pack...
On to the pictures!:

Thoughts?

Last edited by 91BoD; 05-07-2010 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: fixed pictures
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
jpfix
1991 YJ Wrangler 

other than sticking a crowbar in your wallet and getting new springs...there is not much to do. one option is to have your springs re-arched. given the time & fundage to do that, may as well buy springs
jpfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ooh just to make sure there no confusion. Those are flex shots. Otherwise they're flat in the front and very slightly arched in the rear. I'm hoping for some possible junkyard fixes considering I'm on a highschoolers budget.
Unread 05-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
jpfix
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I missed the flex part - what are you going over?
Unread 05-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm on a little retaining wall in front of my house. Would have went up further but once I realised how bad they were inverted I decided not to push it.

Last edited by 91BoD; 05-07-2010 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: fixing pictures
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
jpfix
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ah...I see, said the blind man
Looks like you have no issue and all is functioning as designed.
Make sure you have good bump stops in place to limit the negative flex
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so a little bit of negative arch is fine?
Would going with smaller shackles instead of 8" ones my dad put on awhile back help? The front ones barely move.

Also, I'd still love a small lift. Any junk yard set ups decent? Wagoneer springs, bastard packs with s10 leafs, or the like?
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Throw a set of AAL's (add a leafs) in there and be done with it if you want something on the cheap.

Or, go to the junkyard and pull a set of YJ springs. They sell them here all day long for $16 each.

Ditch those long a$$ shackles while you are at it.
Unread 05-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
rpenczek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How about mow a few lawns or do a little baby sitting or muck some stalls or bail some hay and purchase a 2.5" RC kit, you can do it complete with shocks, stabilizer, new hardware and breaklines (if you need them) for under $700? Maybe less.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's insulting... I just got home from working for 8hrs.. If I could buy a RE or BDS kit I would (not going RC might as well do it right or not do it at all) yes summer may bring more income, but I'm a do it yourselfer anyone can buy a kit and get it put on.. I like to put alittle blood into it to make it mine.. I'm also going to try and increase my weldig skills for future projects.

Yeah, I'd go with a custom pack before AALs. They just make it super stiff. That's why I was thinking waggy springs with a few things to minimize stretch (like an inch instead of the 2.5) and then correct my shackle angle.
Thoughts on this approach? Would I need a SYE with a 2" lift and 1" stretch?
And yes I want to ditch the shackles ASAP my dad added them about 4 years back along with what appear to be ranchero lift shocks. The tires would rub the flares when he got it and he took the quick and easy way out. Now it's my hell, wandering, pinion vibes, and just all around suckage.. ( I just recently did the tj flares need to get some signals)
Unread 05-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

You said you were on a "highschoolers" budget, hence the reason I recommended the AAL's or used YJ springs.

Adding Waggy springs will increase your wheelbase and give you some lift and is a good choice, but it's not within a "highschoolers" budget like you posted.

There is a lot more to adding them then just the used springs. You will also need to lengthen both driveshafts which will add to the overall cost.

I thought you wanted a cheap and easy fix according to your post?
Unread 05-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
Burns95
2004 WJ 

I am with "Iron Maiden". Lose the 8" shackles, throw on an AAL and do a 1" body lift. You wont get any cheaper than that.
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Iron, don't get all butt hurt the first paragraph was not directed at you. I appriciate your thoughts and suggestions.

All I said about the AALs were i'd rather grab some used yjs and make my own pack. Afterall it's like having 4 different AAL kits to choose from and cheaper. (if I could find them for 16$ that's a steal!)

the only reason I mentioned waggy springs was I heard they are really flexy and soft. And I know there are ways to limit the stretch. Infact it could be adjustible from 0"-2.5". I agree this wouldn't be the cheapest or easiest thing in the world but I would probably keep it on alot longer then an AAL. So I will repeat and reform my question:
will I need an SYE and CV shaft with a 2" lift and 1" stretch?
Also is there any proprtion between 1" of lift and how much slip-yoke is lost?

I will do a 1"-1.25" body lift eventually as I would like to do a tummy tuck. but I would also like a diesel swap and money to fall from the sky... Haha

I understand I said highschoolers budget but that was so everyone wouldn't jump in with "buy a kit" alot. Of help that did. The point is I'd like to do something well that will last but cost can be a factor. Cheap and easy is far from what i want. That's how the 8" shackles got put on remember!?

Ooh and the longer I drive the closer a ujoint is to failing. Maybe if one fails I can get my dad to go in on some good springs?
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I love it when someone comes in to ask a question, someone throws out answers and then the op starts acting like were insulting them with answers he asked for. Fact is, butthurt or not, Iron maidens suggestion is probably the cheapest and most effective route on a "high schoolers" budget (short of just finding some yj springs in a JY to get you by). Cant help it if you dont hear what you wanted to hear.

And if a simple ujoint failure will get your dad to open his wallet for you, thats easy enough to arrange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

nothing wrong with a bit of negative arch particularly for a stock vehicle that sees very mild offroad usage. if its time to build great, if not take your time and collect the parts. theres many ways to go.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arch , lift , spring , stretch , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.