Needle zerks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Needle zerks?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
phoric

Needle zerks?

I have a 92 YJ and there are a few ujoints on my driveshafts that have needle zerk fittings on the ends of the ujoints. I do have a needle fitting for my grease gun but have been unable to get the grease to enter any of the ujoints.

There is a little ball in the needle fitting that I am just pressing on with the tip of the needle to get it to move inwards. When I insert the needle the grease immediately just comes right back out of the entrance hole. I've tried entering at an angle with the same results.

What is the trick to greasing ujoints with needle fittings?

phoric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
SWAMPRNR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The tip you need is pictured on the bottom right of the link

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200303979.htm
Unread 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's tricky. My swaybar discos have them and it's tough. They may be clogged if you can't get it to go. I put a regular zerk fitting in and pumped them up the first time I greased them then after that the needle would work. You need to push the needle adapter super hard into the fitting while pumping in the grease.
Unread 09-12-2007, 11:28 PM   #4
SWAMPED
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yea im in the same boat as burnerman on my disconnects. just press hard and pump slow cause thats a lot of thick grease trying to go in a little bitty hole.
SWAMPED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
phoric

I guess I'll keep trying, I broke my needle adapter trying to push it in and have to go get a new one... I don't think they're clogged though, and it does the same with all 5-6 of them.
Unread 09-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
phoric

SWAMPRNR, I don't know if the site is down right now or what, but I couldn't get to the link you posted... Do you have a part # or something?
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
phoric

Well I went out and bought a couple different needle nose fittings for my grease gun and still cannot grease these things with any amount of effort... I think I'm going to say "forget it" and rebuild my drivelines with sealed, non greaseable u-joints. I could have done that by now with the amount of time I've spent on these stupid needle zerks.
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoric
Well I went out and bought a couple different needle nose fittings for my grease gun and still cannot grease these things with any amount of effort... I think I'm going to say "forget it" and rebuild my drivelines with sealed, non greaseable u-joints. I could have done that by now with the amount of time I've spent on these stupid needle zerks.
are you sure they're needle fittings and not just low profile standard fittings?

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
are you sure they're needle fittings and not just low profile standard fittings?

This sounds about right. I just did a few things on the jeep yesterday and one included a new u joint in the rear drive shaft. I thought it was a needle fitting but actually was a small reg fitting.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
phoric

Here is a pic of what they look like from the Stu-Offroad site. According to this page they are needle fittings.

Unread 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
SWAMPRNR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Grainger part number is 6Y834

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...earchIndexId=2

Last edited by SWAMPRNR; 09-17-2007 at 09:21 PM..
SWAMPRNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.