Needin' a new exhaust system for my '89 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Needin' a new exhaust system for my '89 yj

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
PR2112
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Needin' a new exhaust system for my '89 yj

Just picked up a 1989 yj with a 4.2L and a 5-speed trans in it and it just don't have the power that it should.
After diagnostic ... the exhaust system is shot! specifically, the catalytic converter is clogged and the muffler is falling a part

I'm looking to replace everything. including installing a new header. and i'm looking for any tips and/or ideas as far as... what are the good header brands for a Jeep(at decent prices), and would it be better if i went with stainless steal (since i do like driving through water).

And as for the rest of the system, since i live in southern nv., i don't need to deal with smog tests, so the catalytic converter can go. is there a bolt-on kit that will fit my Jeep from the header to tail pipe? or do i have to take 'er to the local muffler shop?

any one??

tia, PR2112.

p.s. i had a "flow master" on my 4 runner that i really liked. it sounded great!

and also what about the different sizes, 1 1/2", 2", bigger?

PR2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would personally just go to a custom exhaust shop and have them do a performance kit. It will cost more but it for sure beats fighting all the rusted bolts on the exhaust that are a problem on any car but even a bigger problem on YJs. I have a punched out cat, it got me a few extra ponies and sounds good. I have an after market mufler as well and it sounds good but I can never remember the name. To pick an exhaust that sounds good, go to youtube and listen to jeeps that are posted with your engine and what muffler you want to use. I think morris 4x4 has a complete bolt on kit that will let you select what parts you want to use if you want to skip the cat and add your own muffler, ect, ect.
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
PR2112
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah i did the u tube thing and still want to stick with the flowmaster exhaust. i've seen a guy on utube with a flowmaster on a '91 yj, but not an '89. i also went to flowmasters site and tried to find a system for my year, but as low as they go is 1991!

the one on utube was a model d-40 iirc, and i can't remember which header he had, maybe a borla. but it sounded pretty bad-a$$.

so maybe i'll just buy a borla stainless header and a flowmaster muffler and have the guys at the local shop fab up what goes in-between!!

what do ya think?

oh, and he ran 2.25" pipe.

Last edited by PR2112; 08-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: adding info.
PR2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.