Need you thoughts on Clutch Master Cylinder replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need you thoughts on Clutch Master Cylinder replacement

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 05-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Johnny World
2002 WJ 

Need you thoughts on Clutch Master Cylinder replacement

hey guys,
Thinking about replacing my clutch master cylinder since it has no cap. I've tried looking around and picked up caps off cylinders from other YJ's but they don't fit. This leads me to believe that the previous owner had the cylinder replaced with an aftermarket one.

Now my question is, I've heard that it's best to replace both the master and slave since replacing one puts stress on the other, is this true?

Basically, I don't want to drop my tranny to replace the slave.

What should I do?

Unread 05-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Omega_9x

In the time I've had My jeep, I'm on My second replacement. The first one was a cheapy plastic housing. Somehow, the return spring inside the unit broke into 4 pieces. but I spent 80 dollars on a nice aluminum one, had no problems since. I haven't had to replace the slave, but I should probably look into it.

If You get a new master, You shouldn't have any problems if You leave the slave alone really.
[B][COLOR="Red"]'93 YJ:[/COLOR][/B] 35x12.50 15 BF Goodrich AT KO on Mickey T. Classic II's, Tom Woods Custom CV Shaft, 3-4 inch springs (Brand Unknown) 2" Shackles, 1" Red Poly BL, 4.10 Yukon Gears, Powertrax No-Slip Locker, BW Pocket Flares, BW Rocker Panel Guards, Outland Hi-Back Bucket seats
Omega_9x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Johnny World
2002 WJ 

Do you have a link to the one you bought? Was it difficut to install?
Unread 05-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Omega_9x

No, it was direct from the store, I had to thumb it into town unfortunately. It's not hard at all to install. Can get mesy tho.
[B][COLOR="Red"]'93 YJ:[/COLOR][/B] 35x12.50 15 BF Goodrich AT KO on Mickey T. Classic II's, Tom Woods Custom CV Shaft, 3-4 inch springs (Brand Unknown) 2" Shackles, 1" Red Poly BL, 4.10 Yukon Gears, Powertrax No-Slip Locker, BW Pocket Flares, BW Rocker Panel Guards, Outland Hi-Back Bucket seats
Unread 05-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

stay away from the parts store brands. nothing but trouble when it comes to these things. if it fits your 90, you're welcome to my old one. bout a year and a half old and a dealer part. i went through 3 of the parts store versions before getting fed up and dropping the big bucks on the mopar master. never had a problem with it after that. only reason i'm getting rid of it is because i've since switched to an external slave setup since i've had that go on me 3 times since buying the jeep in 02. PM me if you're interested.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have never replaced my slave but had to replace the master several years ago. Unless you want to do the job over in a year or so do not buy the part from auto zone etc. My Auto Zone master lasted about a year then went bad. It was very cheaply made. I then put on a new original equipment master and have not had any problems.
Unread 05-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgurney
I have never replaced my slave but had to replace the master several years ago. Unless you want to do the job over in a year or so do not buy the part from auto zone etc. My Auto Zone master lasted about a year then went bad. It was very cheaply made. I then put on a new original equipment master and have not had any problems.
wow you got a year? none of the 3 i bought (2 from AZ, one from Advance) lasted more than a month

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Omega_9x

Heh, I guess I got lucky with mine, I've had it for over a year now with no trouble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.