Need YJ to CJ advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need YJ to CJ advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

Need YJ to CJ advice

I have a chance to trade my 95 yj (mostly stock) in on a 82 CJ. the CJ has a 6 cyl with auto. My YJ has the 4 banger and 5spd. The CJ has a hard top and full doors. My YJ has haf doors and soft top. Assuming the bodys are in the same shape, which one would you recomend for a DD with little to no offroading.

ohio79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well you have a newer vehicle with fuel injection and probably less rust versus an older, carbureted jeep that might not ride as good as your YJ.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want a CJ but I most likely wouldn't for a daily driver. That's just me though. If you feel like it's a good deal and you really want the CJ then go for it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
crazyeye
1979 CJ7 

I have both a CJ&Yj love them both. 6cyl makes a difference over the 4 .my yj and CJ r lifted but my CJ rides so much smoother than my yj. Its all in what u want u can make ur yj look like a CJ to thou
crazyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

My plan was to put flat fenders on the yj. The cj already has em plus a 6" lift. I like shifting but if I ever go off the paved trail the auto trans seems more friendly. I guess I'm just lookin for the pros vs cons from all you out there that have experience with both.
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
ckjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

cjs are cool. the biggest thing is rust. if its not a rust bucket i think it sounds like a good trade
ckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

thats insane. keep the yj. there is no advantage in trading for a vehicle that is over 10 yrs older. doesnt matter what the cjs got on it. the only thing the manufacturer didnt improve on with the yj was the headlights.
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

Decided to stay with the yj. The cj was alittle ruffer than it looked in pics. Definatly had sum neat stuff dun but still needs more than I am willing to put in. Thanks for the advice
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Good move. The YJ is a much improved vehicle over the CJ. Headlights, dash, hood, and fenders are the only parts of the CJ I prefer over the YJ, everything else is a huge improvement.
Old4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I like about my "CJ7-B" as I call it... Keep the best of all in the spirit of Jeeping. YJ body & frame (stock axles till they break) CJ body parts for the all time classic look, and a 98 TJ motor & 5spd. (Granted, it's the 2.5 low output and AX5... but you work with the hand you are dealt)

Back end, years later... It will be re-painted next year once I finish off a few things and swap in a replacement frame. That is the same time I plan on swapping in the CJ7 dash board. I hated to swap over to the family style bar, but needed to for the half cab. I can swap back easy enough if I want to. However, now that it's done.... I have to admit, I kinda like the looks of it.

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.