Need tire suggestions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need tire suggestions

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all. Lots to look at. I may decide to get a good summer set and a good winter set. Figure if I get a good summer set of tires now and save up over the summer I should be able to get good winter tires by then. I really do appreciate all the feedback! Lots of Duratrac mentioned

mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Duratracs are good tires but not for your use. you need better cleaning for those muddy hillsides when the snow is melting, and muddying up the trail.

On the other page I saw Yokahama geolanders mentioned. Yes good snow tires. If you can afford two sets, (which I highly recommend) get a good set of studded snows for the winter. Then for the summer, a set of BFG Mud Terrains.

Why listen to a guy from Vegas? Cause I'm a Colorado native living in Vegas. I used to live in Minturn. I have already torn up all the trails you currently drive on. Hagerman, easy ones like Boreas, and tough ones like Holy Cross. And that was in the days when you could go all the way. The BFG mud Terrains would make it through the bog.
Of course I have been up peak 10, it was in the rain. The BFG's were awesome. Same with all the trails in Leadville and Camp Hale. (FUN TIP: Go to Camp Hale with a metal detector)

Get rid of those BFG all terrains. Not good for anything.

For a change of pace, go to Avon, go up Wildridge, take June Creek to the top of Red and White mtn. Great views as far as the eye can see. Great changing terrain, Aspen forests, then pine forests, creek crossings, nice uphills, not too steep, but enough for a good thrill.
To make it more challenging, go a mile further west and take Berry Creek, also ends up in the same place, but some serious hills and stairsteps. Then you can go down red Sandstone and come out in Vail, or go west to Muddy Pass and come out in Edwards...For local conditions, you need the tough sidewalls and mud terrain for those occasional stream crossings.
Happy Jeeping....
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Yamajer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the km2's now and hate that there are no sipes in them. That being said I do not dd mine anymore. The bfg mud terrain has literally NO sipes. If you are not familiar with sipes do some investigating. Tire's opinions are just like anything else so keep that in mind here.

I don't mind having I tire that is designed for mud or what ever but for the wife I want her to have something that grabs the road, not does great in a mud hole or on holly cross, or carnage canyon... just my ¢.2
Yamajer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamajer View Post
I have the km2's now and hate that there are no sipes in them. That being said I do not dd mine anymore. The bfg mud terrain has literally NO sipes. If you are not familiar with sipes do some investigating. Tire's opinions are just like anything else so keep that in mind here.

I don't mind having I tire that is designed for mud or what ever but for the wife I want her to have something that grabs the road, not does great in a mud hole or on holly cross, or carnage canyon... just my ¢.2
BFG Mud Terrains were for if he can have two sets.

You are right about siping. Keep in mind a good tire shop can sipe tires for you.
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Yamajer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh my bad I didn't catch that 2nd pair part. I have had mixed results with getting tires siped at the shop. Factory siping is much better but it will get you same results physically
Yamajer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love my Goodyear SilentArmors in snow and ice, though the DuraTracs would probably be even better since they're a little more aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found em...

These are what I was using on my CJ7. They are Douglas Wild Country Radial RVT. They were the only mud terrain tires I knew of that were pinned for studs. Had mine studded.
Back then in Minturn, they hardly ever plowed snow so the roads were snowpacked for months. They would even get snowpack potholes! These tires were great on the trails and with studs they are unbeatable on ice and snow. Only drawback was the studs were a little noisy on dry pavement. Keep the wife safe with studs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.