Need tire suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need tire suggestions

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need tire suggestions

I've scoured the web and found that everyone has a different opinion on just about every tire out there. Right now I have 33" X 10.5" BF Goodrich AT TA KO's. I've been pretty happy with them. They do seem to hold snow though.

I live at about 9600ft. It's full on winter here from mid October until mid May. Huge amounts of snow, lots of ice, wind, curves, steep hills, etc...My wife drives it every day with my five year old in the back no matter what the roads are like so safety is absolutely vital to me. Sometimes they have no choice but to hop on the highway because the one surface road across town is a dam and closes all the time. We do wheel a bit in the summer, almost every weekend but nothing really crazy. Just forest service/blm roads really. To be honest though I could care less about how it wheels if it means its safer on the road.

Yeah, I know. If I'm looking for safety the jeep is the last thing I want them driving. But we all love that thing and my wife drives like a 100 year old lady! My motto is - It will certainly drive right out of that ditch it is certainly going to put you in

All that being said...what tires would you all recommend? I am considering getting the same BFG's or Pro-Comp X-terrains. I only say the x-terrains because I saw a chart that showed they were great in all conditions in "that" catalog...

mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Heard the duratracs are good on the snow. I know my dad's scrambler is running them (33's) and my mom's TJ also has them (31's) and the both love the way they handle on the road and wet roads.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
SuperMidget

general grabber at2's or cooper stt's are the best a/t tires i've ever personally ran that worked very well in the winter
SuperMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just watched some of the general grabber tires slide all over the trail and the owner actually get out to complain about them.

I loved my BFG AT's. Loved them!!
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I hear duratracs are great in snow and very good on ice too.

Duratracs will be my next set for sure
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My recommendation is to go to a mounted two set system, studded ice radials (Goodyear Nordics on steelies) in the winter and what-ever floats the boat (Michelin ATX's on aluminum's for now) in the summer. That's what I do, it only takes about an hour a season to change over and I check the brakes, steering, u-joints and grease at the same time. Re-torque wheel nuts after first 100 miles.
I plan to change the winters to Nokian Hakapalitta's (very happy with the one's I put on the wife's car) after next winter and put 33 10.50 Bf Goodrich KM2's on before this summer, then I'll consider myself ready for any and all that I'm likely to encounter here.
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run BFG KM2's. I really like them on and off-road. But like most BFG's they will cost a little more...but reasonable.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
bentvalves

I remember reading an article on tries being used in the snow. The general thought was that while more aggressive treads clean better and provide more "thrust", they lacked the turn in and steering response of an a/t. I believe they were using BFGs.
bentvalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My wife runs BFG TA KO. On her Hummer. They work great in the snow.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have 31" duratracs and they're great in the snow
taylor797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am running 31x10.50 Duratracs. Ive had em for almost 4 years now. Plenty of life left and i've driven about 40,000 miles on em. I am very happy with how they perform on the snow. Even now at about 35% tread I get better snow traction than my buddies. Id say about a third of the year I spend driving in the snow and rain. So far I highly recommend the duratracs. They've held up really well, are quiet on the road, and do great in the snow.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of xterrains that are just under half tread, they are great for off roading (rocks, hill climbs and Mud) but SUCK in snow.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running Yokohama Geolander AT-S's on the Jeep because they performed so amazingly well on my wife's Durango. For the Jeep I've found them to be very solid off road, although they do hold small rocks. They clear out mud/snow real nice. On my wife's Durango, the transfer case shift motor went out and she went almost 2 years in 2wd (two complete winters). No matter what I did I couldn't break the back end of that 6,000 lb beast loose. Oh sure, I can make 'em squeal like a pig in heat, but in the snow, they latched on like a newborn to its mother's ***.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Yamajer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've had 2 pair of goodyear duratracs on my yj and LOVE THEM!! The wife has the hancoock's and they are awesome in the snow on her liberty.( bought them two times in a row now as well) Whoever said to run steelies with studded snows is smart but if you want one tire for year round these are my favorites. The bfg at I'm not a fan of. They do not clean out well at all. These two both have a great rubber compound, good sipes and a open shoulder. Mixed with a "staggered" lug pattern they do well off road.

Sorry this sounds like a sales pitch but I'm very pickie with tires! Go with either of these two and you won't be disappointed for life or traction !
Yamajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I've been to Dillon/Silverthorn. I pass through regularly on my way to Burlington. I often take Hwy. 9 to Kremmling in the better months, and I know how bad that winter can get there. I use to live in Idaho Springs many years ago.
I run Big-O Bigfoot A/T. So far they have performed excellent in all terrain except for deep mud (I haven't ran them in deep mud yet). For the price and the warranty I couldn't pass them up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.