need tips for oil pressure sending unit. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need tips for oil pressure sending unit.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
boyce1911
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

need tips for oil pressure sending unit.

Tonite I was priming the oil pump on my freshly rebuilt 258 and when the pump caught prime the oil pressure sending unit started spurting oil out. Is there any tips or advice for changing this out?? like special thread sealant, can I spin the whole unit out of the block (2 switches on a big square brass looking fitting) or do both switches come out independantly?

boyce1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The whole thing spins right out of the block. It's a PITA to reach sometimes. If you have a REALLY REALLY deep 1" (or 1 1/8"?) socket, that'll fit.
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yes you can take it out best thing to do is buy a mechanical gauage and install it so you dont have to worry about the sending unit going bad and leaking oil everywhere. i installed mine yesterday cost around 20 bills and is pretty easy to install
92yjpittman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
boyce1911
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, if I go with a mechanical guage I can do away with both of those switches at that location along with their wires?
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if its like my 2.5 you can
92yjpittman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have two sending unit? That is sorta odd but not uncommon. One goes to the gauge and the other sounds like it goes to an light for if the pressure drops below a set point. This would have been an add on item that was done by some one. Which would be an easy way to get your attention in case of an pressure loss or a kill switch. Now you could remove the two sending unit and tighten down the block and pipe to where it is seated.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
RollTideYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce1911 View Post
So, if I go with a mechanical guage I can do away with both of those switches at that location along with their wires?
If yours has two wires coming out of it, then one is for the oil gauge, and the other operates the electric choke. Thats how my 4.2 works.
RollTideYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A mechanical gauge isn't a fix all as far as oil leakage. The plastic line can get a leak from the engine to the gauge. It can get a leak under the dash and get on the floor. If you go the mechanical route, just make sure the oil line isn't pinched or in a place where it will get rubbed alot.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
boyce1911
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Guy at parts store looked both pieces up and one is oil pressure and other is oil light. $44 for both but mechanical guage is $15 so thats what I walked out with. Only to come home and read that other part might go to electric choke?? if that is the case all I have to do is take out the plug I bought and get the right part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.