need tips for 350 drop-in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need tips for 350 drop-in

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-21-2002, 05:38 PM   #1
jeep_fun

need tips for 350 drop-in

I'm dropping in a chevy 350 w/ a T400 tranny mounted to it in my '91 YJ. I need information on what others have done and what components to use like what transfer-case, exhaust(where to run it),radiator/fan(s),drive shafts. My '91 YJ has a 4" trailmaster suspension lift(leafs), 4:56 gears, and 33X12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials. Please help. I'm doing it this summer and need all the advice and tips I can get.
Thanx
Adam Draskovich jeep_fun@hotmail.com

4.56 gears(both ends)
and a 350/TH400/Dana 300/Dana 44/Dana 60 coming soon
jeep_fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
87JeepWrangler

your gonna need a driver side drop transfer case. check out the atlas transfer case made by advance adapters. if you have the money, thats what id use. http://www.off-road.com/products/sho...atlas-show.htm

driveshafts, go with tom woods driveshafts. http://www.4xshaft.com/

they people like advance adapters sells conversion radiators. but they cost an arm and a leg. when i do my swap, im gonna just find something that fits in there, and make my own brackets for it.
Unread 03-22-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
V8wrangler_idaho

a better tranny to drop in there is a 700r4 tranny. Its a newer GM tranny and you can find them with the driver side drop transfer case on them. Its a 4 speed auto and its accually pretty strong. I have heard of people converting to that tranny. its allot better. has a locking torch converter on it that is acccually programable. so you can set it to lock up for the most part. what that means is the auto tranny won't disengadge going down hills as much. It will stay in gear. allot better gear ratio in the tranny for both on and off road performance. I really wanted to put one in my jeep but the convertion for ford to gm tanny was more then i wanted to spend at the time, Still planning on it though. You will want to change out at least your back axle. cuz your going to break it with a v8. i broke mine liek 2 times. Changed over to a ford 8.8 axle off of a ford explorer. the best year of axle is 95 and newer. They come with disc brakes. the 8.8 is allot stronger then the dana 44 axles. You can go to http://mountainoffroad.com and they have some info on the convertion and a kit for it to. as far as radiator goes the stock yj radiator will work fine. but if you want a really good radiator you can go to http://zandm.com and they have a really good radiator there and some other jeep parts that they make. for the exhaust i would just go with shorty headers and then have a muffler shop run the exhaust out the sides under the frame right behind or in frount of where the leaf springs connect to the frame. they fix there pretty well and then run glass packs down the side and out in frount of the back tires. Thats how i have them on my jeep i will get some pics and post them on my jeep page if you want. just email me if you have any other questions.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2002, 02:52 PM   #4
V8wrangler_idaho

oh forgot to mention the 700r4 tranny for GM is shorter then the t400 and stronger

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.