Need suggestions on removing stuck steering stabilizer (damper shock) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need suggestions on removing stuck steering stabilizer (damper shock)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Need suggestions on removing stuck steering stabilizer (damper shock)

I am trying to replace my steering damper and the end on the middle of the tie-rod is giving me grief. I can get the castle nut off but I can not get the bolt pushed through the tie rod. I've tried bracing between the tie rod and axle with wood blocks and beating the hell out of it with a BFH. Then, I tried a gear puller but it looked like it might mushroom the head of the bolt so I stopped.

Any suggestions? I've been soaking it with liquid wrench for a few days but I don't think it's going to help.

Augy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's a tapered fit, I think I used a pitman arm puller to yank mine. It'll be damn tight!

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Buck chot beat me to it! Even a ball joint separator / fork might be handy !
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up 2 pickle forks at Harbor Frieght today but they were both too big

Should I just try my puller again and not be concerned about destroying the threaded end? If it mushrooms (assuming it even could) I would have to cut it off...is that just inviting trouble?
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

pry on it as best you can while pounding on the side of the tie rod, next to the bolt.

you might have to take it all the way out to get a good swing at it.

like this, but in the middle where the stbilizer is.
dscn6520.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

X2, on jbolty's idea. That will work also.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, I ended up getting it off with a pitman puller and an air ratchet. THanks for the suggestions.
Unread 08-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you put some heat on it yet? Try putting a torch on it and then hitting it with a hammer. If it comes down to it you can cut the stud off and take the tie rod/drag link assembly and put it in a vice and get it out. When I took mine out I just hit it with a really big hammer and sprayed some PB Blaster on it. In reverse order though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie4 View Post
Have you put some heat on it yet? Try putting a torch on it and then hitting it with a hammer. If it comes down to it you can cut the stud off and take the tie rod/drag link assembly and put it in a vice and get it out. When I took mine out I just hit it with a really big hammer and sprayed some PB Blaster on it. In reverse order though.
Thanks for the ideas. I finally did manage to get it removed but it was a PITA. Now I'm fighting removing the stock bushings from the track bar. I can get the center sleeve and rubber bushing out. I can not get the outer sleeve (that was outside the rubber and nested against the inner diameter of the eye. I only have a propane torch and I'm not sure it's hot enough to do much. Sometimes what ought to be the simplest things....
Unread 08-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I finally did manage to get it removed but it was a PITA. Now I'm fighting removing the stock bushings from the track bar. I can get the center sleeve and rubber bushing out. I can not get the outer sleeve (that was outside the rubber and nested against the inner diameter of the eye. I only have a propane torch and I'm not sure it's hot enough to do much. Sometimes what ought to be the simplest things....
The simplest thing would be to throw that POS track bar as far as you can & quit screwing with it......

Sorry, anybody who knows me around here would have been disappointed in me if I had not suggested it......

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
The simplest thing would be to throw that POS track bar as far as you can & quit screwing with it......

Sorry, anybody who knows me around here would have been disappointed in me if I had not suggested it......

Max
I'm sure you're right. It's just that I ordered the darn bushings and relocation bracket so I intend to at least put them on at least for one drive...even if it takes me 3 days to get the old bushings out!
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy View Post
I can not get the outer sleeve (that was outside the rubber and nested against the inner diameter of the eye.
I worked for two days off and on trying to get one of those dang sleeves out....finally took the same advice Max gives below... vvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Max
I did manage to get two out of the spring eyes on a used set of springs I have on the rear right now. Needed to get them out to fit the new poly bushings in.....TONS of heat (just used a MAP torch), PB, HUGE old flathead screwdriver to drive with, and several different vice grips got it done for me. As far as on a track bar, not worth the time in my book....
Unread 08-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got this done. I used a hack saw to cut the sleeve in two places. Then one whack with a socket and BFH knocked it right out.

I got the new bushings in and replaced the track bar using a relocation bracket. I removed the rear track bar completely. I think it rides pretty good now. I don't know how much the front track bar does though ;-)
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
cherokeejim
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try using a pitman arm puller and an impact wrench on the puller, the combination of pressure and vibration took it right off. I tried just using a bfh for a half hour it didnt budge.
cherokeejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
clrandolph

ok so im doing the same thing and i ran into the same problem. i beat the hell out of it with a bfh and used a pickle fork and no luck so i went to harbor freight and bought a pitman puller and used an air rachet like you said you did and all i did was trash the bolt. now im worse off than i was. any other suggestions? this one bolt is holdin me up from dropping my oil pan.
clrandolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.