Need Sound System Advice, New Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Sound System Advice, New Build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Need Sound System Advice, New Build

OK, so it is time to upgrade the sound sytem in my jeep. The 2 original (89) speakers in the dash are just not cutting it anymore.

I have what I believe is a decent head unit Sony CDX-GT730UI (see link for specs) mounted in amy center console.

http://reviews.productwiki.com/sony-cdx-gt730ui/

What I am looking to do is get a good speaker setup that I can hear with the top off. I do not want big sub-woofer box's or anything rediculous. I was thinking a sound bar, replace the dash speakers, Amp (do I need one?) and that is about it, unless someone has other suggestions.

Are there any soundbars that are worth buying that I am not going to have to replace speakers in?

Do I buy an empty sound bar and put my own speaker's in?

This is outside of my knowledge base, just looking for some "sound" advise

J

1989 YJ 258CI 4.2L with 4.0-HO(7120)5 angle head job, Comp-Cam 4x4 xtreme cam, Holley 4412 500CFM Carb, Clifford performance single Plenum intake, CRT HEI distributor, Rough country 4" lift, 33.5 tires, Ultra Polished Aluminium Rims, Warn Powerplant, Galaxy DX-979 w/ a little help-x-250, custom tire swingout rear bumper, quick disconnects, Posi-Loc, new paint.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/jeep-build-take-two-642379/
johnrezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Considering most wranglers will inevitably be caught in the rain with the top down, and destroying a few good head units I went with the Clarion CMD5. Its essentially water proof. It doesnt have a full color screen or look flashy at all. However it has everything that matters. A small bit of trimming and fits the YJ dash very well. I have added the Cnet conector for the Ipod hookup, as the CMD5 offers full Ipod support aswell as adapters to control Sirrius satelite radio without any other external controllers. I have literally scrubbed my dash board with a soft brissle brush and rinsed it of with the hose and it doesnt effect the head unit at all.

Here is a link to the install when I first put it in the old YJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/w...player-522557/

Along the same lines for speakers, Polk/MOMO has a wicked set of water proof speakers that they couple with the CMD5 in the Nautique boats. When it comes to audio for the YJ, I try to go with non flashy and water proof/resistant. Non flashy because its really easy to steal stuff out of them, and water proof because they are bound to get wet.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I already have a head unit and it is protected from the weather inside the center console. here are a couple of pic's, I stuck my CB in the dash where the head unit used to be.... Now I am looking to addthe proper speakers and whatever else I may need.

1989 YJ 258CI 4.2L with 4.0-HO(7120)5 angle head job, Comp-Cam 4x4 xtreme cam, Holley 4412 500CFM Carb, Clifford performance single Plenum intake, CRT HEI distributor, Rough country 4" lift, 33.5 tires, Ultra Polished Aluminium Rims, Warn Powerplant, Galaxy DX-979 w/ a little help-x-250, custom tire swingout rear bumper, quick disconnects, Posi-Loc, new paint.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642379
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

head unit specs

Product Features
Flip-down, detachable faceplate with 4-line, full-motion
Front USB 1-wire for iPhone, iPod, and Walkman music player and other compatible devices
Quick-BrowZer feature with Jump Mode, ZAPPIN feature and Passenger Control
SAT radio and HD radio ready with front auxiliary input
EQ3 Parametric, 4-volt front, rear and sub pre-outs
Technical Details
Brand name: Sony
Model number: CDX-GT930UI
Product Type: Radio / CD / MP3 player / USB
Series: Xplod
Form Factor: Full-DIN - In-dash unit
Width: 7 inch
Depth : 7.5-inch
Height: 2 in
Weight: 3.7 lbs
Faceplate Type: Detachable
Sound output mode: Stereo
Sound effects: Dynamic Soundstage Organizer (DSO)
Equalizer: Yes
Audio system controls: Balance, Fader, Volume
Amplifier max output power / channel qty: 52 Watts x 4
Amplifier continuous power / channel qty: 17 Watts x 4
Amplifier Output Details: 17 Watt - 4 Ohm - THD 1.0 percent - 14.4V DC - 4 channel(s)
Audio system built-in display: LCD
Display illumination color: Blue, Red, Green
Clock: Yes (digital)
Additional features: Multi-jog operation, Telephone mute, USB direct input, Motorized front panel, iPod ready, Satellite radio tuner control, HD radio ready
Equalizer type: Parametric
Equalizer band qty: 3 bands
Radio Type: Radio tuner - AM/FM
Tuning display: LCD display
Station preset qty: 30 (12 AM / 18 FM)
Additional radio features: FM stereo/mono switch, DX/LO switch, Best stations memory
CD system type: CD/MP3 player
Media load type: Slot-load
Digital audio standards supported: WMA, MP3, AAC
CD system response bandwidth: 10 - 20000 Hz
Signal-to-noise ratio: 120 dB
CD-R /RW compatible: Yes
Connector Type: 1 x Front channel output ( RCA phono x 2 ), 1 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ), 1 x Rear channel output ( RCA phono x 2 ), 1 x Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ), 1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ), 1 x System components control bus, 2 x Subwoofer output (RCA phono)
Digital player device type: Digital player
Digital player supported digital audio standards: WMA, MP3, AAC
Digital player additional features: Infrared
Remote control type: Remote control
Remote control technology: USB flash drive playback
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd add some 6x9's in the pods that hide behind the toolbar and the rear fender wells. At 75 mph with the loose bikini top flapping, I get good sound from front and rear. If you can afford to add an amp, I'd suggest it with some good quality speakers for the rear.

Edit: you're only running 17w RMS to each of your speakers. I'd add the amp for sure!
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
USMC3531
1990 YJ Wrangler 

After changing the driver's side dash speaker I can tell you I don't want to do again, and after wasting my money on one used soundbar on ebay with junk speakers, that ain't it either.
Since I don't do a lot of deep water fording and driving with the top down in rainstorms, I went with the dual pod speakers that sit in the middle of the floor in front of the shifter along with a pair of speaker mounts that sit behind the seats next to the roll bars and fenders. I get all the sound I can handle with a decent receiver and no amp. But then again, I'm old.
USMC3531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would deff. go for a water proof/resistant speaker. I have 2 pinoneer 6x9s in boxes between the roll bar and the tub. I get great sound with the soft top flapping in the wind and even with no top at all. As for head unit I have a pioneer I had kicking around, its 200 watts rms, high end for a heep and no dash speakers. I plan on getting marine speakers from boss to replace the 6x9s because they have the highest chances of getting wet (got mud already on the speaker grills) and eventually I want to add a marine grade sub and amp from boss as well, I dont care much about the dash because they dont have an extreme chance of getting wet, as for the head unit, something shock proof is more important in my mind than water proof. Check out bestbuy.com for good and affordable speakers.
Unread 07-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
dobslob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It has been covered about a thousand times on here so there is plenty of information available.

Do you want to hear it or do you want it to sound good?

If you just want to hear it, use a sound bar, the speakers are right next to your head so it will take little power to get sound to your ears. The speakers won't matter too much here as they are just noise. You can add as many speakers as you want wherever they can fit, you will get more noise.

If you want it to sound good, get a pair of 6 1/2" coaxial or component speakers in the kick panel area. A marine set will likely last longer if it gets wet much, but most marine speakers are lower quality. A good set of automotive speakers will be fine for quite a while. When I was in Michigan a set would last me 4 or 5 years with no top, ever. I think the snow was pretty rough on them. With the speakers in the kick panels, and with a better set of speakers, and amplifier will definitely help. There are several companies that make good quality mini amplifiers now. I have a pair of Rockford Fosgate PBR amps mounted in the top of my dash so they will stay dry even in 4 feet of water, if I find that much in the rocks here... I have 75 watts going to each mid, and each tweeter, and 300 watts going to a 10" sub in my center console. The system sounds great and is safe since nobody can see it.

The kick panel location works well because it it places the speakers at a more similar distance from each ear. Stereo only works properly when you are in the middle of the sound and this gets you pretty close to that. It also places the speakers in front of you, also vital for good sound.
dobslob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I want to sound good, but I am 'getting' old as well and do not need anyone else to hear it.... I can afford an amp and do tend to get the jeep wet, relaly wet from time to time so maybe Marine equipment is the way to go. I have never been a big fan of the soundbars since I believe Jeeps should "always be topless" The soundbar to me is somthing I do not want obstructing m view.... I kno there is alot on hear but at time there is too much, Soundbars good, soundbars bad, amps, no amps etc..... just having a conversation to help me get a better idea of what will work for me....

J
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
KKirk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the new 4x6 in the front and 6x9's in the POD's from Vertically Driven Products (fits in the dead space between the roll bar and rear fender well real slick).

Good sound at 60 MPH with no top, doors, etc - definitely recommend an amp.
KKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
johnrezz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK...

so with the head unit I have providing:

Amplifier max output power / channel qty: 52 Watts x 4
Amplifier continuous power / channel qty: 17 Watts x 4
Amplifier Output Details: 17 Watt - 4 Ohm - THD 1.0 percent - 14.4V DC - 4 channel(s)

I would like to put 4 new speakers in, two in the vertical pods as suggested behind the seat and two somewhere up front, not sure if I want to replace the dash ones or put some on the floor board....

so what size amp will work, I see alot of options out there but not really sure which one to buy. I am going to go w/ a Marine grade since it will get wet

would this be OK?

Sony XM-604M

RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)
60 x 4

Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power
20-20k Hz

THD at Rated RMS Power
1%

Signal to Noise Ratio
97 dB

Input Voltage
14.4v

Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)
110 x 4

Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)
70 x 4

Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)
N/A

Minimum Impedance Bridged

Minimum Impedance Unbridged

Features
Amplifier Class
AB

Tri-Way Capable
YYes

Low-Pass Crossover Frequency
80 Hz

Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)
18 dB

High-Pass Crossover Frequency
80 Hz

High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)
12 dB

Bass Boost
No

Bass Boost Frequency
N/A

Fan Cooled
No

Fuse Rating
25 x 2

Speaker Level Inputs
Yes

Preamp Outputs
No

LED Power Indicator
Yes

Height (inches)
2-3/16

Width (inches)
10-11/16

Depth (inches)
15-13/16

Parts Warranty
1 Year

Labor Warranty
1 Year
Unread 07-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've went with Tuffy products to solve this problem.

I've got the following:

I'm really pleased with the quality and durability of the Tuffy stuff. It keeps my equipment protected from both thieves and the rain. I've never had any trouble. The overhead console is kind of a pain to wire everything in but once installed it was well worth it.
jvallery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
dobslob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The Sony amp will be okay, but keep in mind that it is not waterproof, it will just resist corrosion. Typically all they do is put extra epoxy on the board. You will be better off getting a smaller (in physical size) amplifier and mounting it high in the dash so that you can avoid any direct contact with water. There are several companies that make very small amps that have plenty of power for your needs. The amps I use are each about 1 1/2" x 4" x 7" so they can fit in a lot of safe, dry places.
dobslob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
The amps I use are each about 1 1/2" x 4" x 7" so they can fit in a lot of safe, dry places.

You haven't ridden in my Jeep. I think I've managed to get every inch of it wet at some point. :-)
jvallery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If space is still an issue, the stock location for front speakers is one of the best because it isn't adding to the displacement inside the jeep. It's really not that bad to change them out and you can get some good quality pushing your whole head units amp to them and using an external amp for some speaker pods elsewhere. The tuffy boxes are the best but expensive. VDP has the between the rollbar unit for a reasonable price.

Tags
audio components , sound bar , sound system , speakers , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.