Need some tailight help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some tailight help

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 03-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
Special Ed

Need some tailight help

got some flush mount trailer lights for my jeep, but they only have 2 wires green and black

i hooked the green to the green w/ stripe and black to white w/ black stripe

they work but when i turn the headlights on they dont come on?

turn signals work and so does brake lights...any ideas?

TIA

5.5" of lift/ the "no fender mod"/ Rhino Lined tub & flares/ RE SYE w/ Tom Woods shaft/Plenty of mods to come![/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Need 2.5L parts? Email me Pimpinatspiveys@aol.com[/COLOR]
Special Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
Fuzz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed
got some flush mount trailer lights for my jeep, but they only have 2 wires green and black

i hooked the green to the green w/ stripe and black to white w/ black stripe

they work but when i turn the headlights on they dont come on?

turn signals work and so does brake lights...any ideas?

TIA
Does your new light have two bulbs or one? If it has only one bulb are there 2 elements inside that bulb? You need 2 elements whether they are housed in 2 bulbs or a single bulb to run everything. If you only have one total element, you are SOL.

Use a multi-tester or 12 volt test light to determine which Jeep wire belongs to what circuit. Turn on the parking lights and test those wires for power. Lets call the one with power brown (for the sake of this illustration). Lets call the one with power when the brake or turn signals are on yellow. If the Jeep has a black wire, it will be ground. Confirm this with a continuity test to the body or frame of the jeep. Some jeps only have a ground wire at one rear light. The other light is grounded by the mounting bolts in this case.

Check to see which light element is the brightest of the two elements. Conect the wire from that element to the Jeep wire that is hot when the brakes are applied. Connect the other light wire to the Jeep wire that is hot when the parking lights are on.
The black wire on your new light may be a ground. If so, you don't have enough wires or elements to run everything.

Fuzz
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Special Ed

how can i tell what element it is? its a sealed light?

5.5" of lift/ the "no fender mod"/ Rhino Lined tub & flares/ RE SYE w/ Tom Woods shaft/Plenty of mods to come![/COLOR]

Unread 03-09-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Fuzz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed
how can i tell what element it is? its a sealed light?
If you mean by "sealed light" you mean a sealed beam like an older style headlight, it seems strange. If so, connect a ground to the mounting bolts and test the 2 wires separately to see if it lights up both times. If it does not, connect the black wire to ground and the other wire to power. If it lights now, you only have one element in there and therefore can't run everything you need.

If by "sealed light" you mean it is enclosed but not a sealed beam unit, there will be a way of getting inside to change the bulb when necessary. Take a closer look.......... In any case, the tests mentioned above will have the same meaning.

Fuzz
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
BuffaloYJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Both those leads are positive. in order for them to come on you need to ground the light. there's probably a metal "wire" on the back of the housing...when you screw the housing in, it should ground through one of the screws to the tub....
BuffaloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
Special Ed

i havent screwed it in yet, im waitring until i repaint my jeep then ill screw it in and see if it works

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.