Need some opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some opinions

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need some opinions

I am getting ready to start on my next YJ build and I can not decide what to do. It currently has a Rough Country 2.5" lift and 3" BL on it. The BL is gone no matter what, but I cant decide to leave the 2.5" springs or go SOA.

I am fully aware of the can of worms I will be opening if I go SOA, but this is a trail only rig. My donor rig already has a traction bar and full hydro steering.

I will be using Waggie 44s so I understand they are a little tougher to do SOA, in the front at least.

Just wondering what you all would do if you all were in this situation. Time is really not a factor because it is probably going to take awhile anyway.

YJ_Squared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Isn't the traction bar the most difficult fab part of the SOA? I'd say if you're already on your way there to keep going... and do a build thread.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix85182
Isn't the traction bar the most difficult fab part of the SOA? I'd say if you're already on your way there to keep going... and do a build thread.
Oh I will have a build thread when I get started.

I'm not sure about the traction bar being the toughest part but I'm still just not sure. I like the thoughts of staying sua bc of center of gravity issues. But it's tough to get that set up to flex like a good SOA set up.
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you can set up SUA to flex like a SOA, but I like the center of gravity of the SUA. If I go SOA in the future it would have to be fullsize axles and stretched a little. There are some springs that are more flexy than others for SUA and different combinations of bommerang shackles, revolver shackles (never tried personally) and other things that can provide decent flex for SUA. 2.5" of lift and front and rear fender mods can put you 35s easy.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I understand concern for COG - my experience is that if done correctly, SOA using a good selection of parts, the right approach, and top quality install, will provide a ride that provides a high degree of confidence and little concern with staying low to the ground.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You haven't mentioned what size tires you'll be running and what kind of terrain you'll be tackling. Around here, suspension travel is the difference between pulling cable and walking right through. Pick the wrong line and you'll be wanting to go lower. Like this guy:
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
I understand concern for COG - my experience is that if done correctly, SOA using a good selection of parts, the right approach, and top quality install, will provide a ride that provides a high degree of confidence and little concern with staying low to the ground.
Thanks for the input. I have been researching the hell out if this topic and I keep leaning more and more towards going spring-over. I would most likely use stock springs since they can be had for cheap and flex really well.
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
You haven't mentioned what size tires you'll be running and what kind of terrain you'll be tackling. Around here, suspension travel is the difference between pulling cable and walking right through. Pick the wrong line and you'll be wanting to go lower. Like this guy:
You're right, I never actually said what tire size.

I will be starting at 35s on Built Waggy axles. If I can get my setup right with 35s, then I am just some tube fenders and comp cut away from 38s or so.

Here in the mid-Atlantic region, we have lots of hills and rocks. I stay about as far away from the mud as I can. Just not worth it to me.
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can fit 38's sprung under but for your application, a stock spring over lift would work well. If rough country was ever an option, I'm just gonna pick the opposite of that. Luckily, I can back up whatever choice with a bunch of mumbo jumbo because the choice comes down to your expertise. What do the guys around you wheel with? How does it work for the terrain? What can you learn from their setups?
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Amature...

I would do the body right and get some quality 0-2" springs for an SOA...but that's just me.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

Amature...

I would do the body right and get some quality 0-2" springs for an SOA...but that's just me.
I second this, my buddies that use stock Springs break them left and right. I run 3.5 rear hd spin up front and the same thing in the rear but I use the wagoneer top leaf and 3rd leaf in the rear mixed with the other superlift leafs to stretch the rear 2 inches. I'm more than satisfied with mine SOA, I've never had ne tipsy issues either.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I have officially decided on going SOA and am going to use some 1.5" lift springs.

I have found a set if axles I am trading my Waggy axles for. They are a Dana 44hd converted to a 5 lug and a 9" rear with 35 spline axles. Both are already set up for SOA for a YJ.

My jeeps are at a buddy's house and when he gets back from FL next week I will be getting started and start a build thread.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well last week I finally got started on this thing. My time is at an absolute premium. I hope to be done by July 15th for the grand opening of the hatfield McCoy trails at Ivy.

I got the front axle, steering, and suspension out. It took quite a few hours between BSing and getting frozen bolts out. Next week I plan to get everything out at the rear and start the axle swap.

imageuploadedbyautoguide1371780434.335464.jpg

imageuploadedbyautoguide1371780451.135278.jpg

imageuploadedbyautoguide1371780473.901802.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have been working a crap ton of hours lately so this thing has not gotten much attention. I did get the rear end 99% out today though. All I lack is getting the two frame end bolts out of the leaf springs. Those are being a PITA.

Here is a pic I took right before I tackled the rear shackles. I ended up having to cut the actual shackle plates in half to get to the top bolts with a sawzall. I didn't feel too peachy about torching them that close to the plastic tank.
image-366834284.jpg

Unread 07-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are the rear bolts simply too rusted to remove, and you are having to cut them out? I know on my '94, I had to unbolt and move the gas tank side to side to remove the rear frame-shackle bolts. I'm not sure if this is the factory installed them all this way, but there was no way to pull the upper bolts out with the gas tank bolted up....the bolts are simplt too long and there was not enough room to remove them with the gas tank in place.

I didn't have to completely drop the tank, but I did have to wedge it around a bit to clear the bolts. If Jeep had simply installed them with the nuts on the inside of the frame (closest to the tank), then it would not have been an issue.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.