Need some help with a starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some help with a starting problem

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need some help with a starting problem

So I can't seem to figure this out. Last Wednesday, I drove to Dunkin Donuts at like 7am, everything was all well and good. Parked it til about 1pm when I was gonna leave for the weekend, cranked forever with no start. Here's where things get weird:

I know that sometimes the CEL doesn't come on and it won't start until I wait for it to come on. That could be caps in the ICM deciding to go bad...but regardless it always starts when the CEL comes on. This time it did not. Just cranked and cranked and cranked, until I eventually got it started and it just blew the richest exhaust. Must've flooded it. Either way, I decided to let it run for a minute and then take it for a ride. Stalled out down the road, like complete loss of power. Started it up again, stalled out again. Repeated until I made it mostly into a parking spot and then decided it had enough. Wouldn't start at all.

Flash forward to today, let it sit all weekend at school while I was not enjoying Thanksgiving due to this problem. Walk back out to it, turn the key, CEL comes right on (unusual, because it usually takes a sec), cranks and cranks. Ok, pedal to the floor, crank a few times, nothing. Ok, pedal to the floor, crank a few times and lift my foot while cranking...fires up and stalls almost immediately. Repeat this a few times, eventually I manage to time it right and it fires up and stays running. Burns some straight up gasoline exhaust, trips the O2 sensor (it ended up going off), and runs rich for a few minutes before the exhaust clears up. Let it sit and run and warm up completely and took it for a drive, no issues.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? I'm thinking that maybe the fuel pump is on the way out, and the only reason for me to think that is the instantaneous loss of power that I observed when it stalled and because I sort of had to pump the pedal while cranking to start it. Also the CEL comes right on every time now when I turn the key, no waiting.

All suggestions are welcome, I'll have a chance to look at it and do whatever to it in the next couple days. Thanks.

Unread 11-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

AND, almost forgot this, to make things weirder...when it first started up and was running smoothly the daytime running lights didn't turn on immediately, they took a few minutes. Can't even explain that one, at all.
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a spark issue and not a fuel issue, i would change the cps and do a tune up.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since the first issue was the CEL not lighting up as it should that is where I would concentrate. First check the plug to make sure you have a good connection. Then I would consider doing the PCM repair that is well documented here and a bazillion other places you can find on the 'net. Once you get the CEL to light up when it should see just what else this YJ does before you go throw a box of parts at this YJ......and screw it up real bad! JK!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
sounds like a spark issue and not a fuel issue, i would change the cps and do a tune up.
Originally suspected the crank sensor as well, just didn't make sense why it would consistently start when I pumped the pedal while cranking. The tune up is tentative anyway, just managed to pick this one up a week ago so I haven't gotten around to doing the oil change/plugs, wires, cap, and rotor/fuel filter/etc. Been working out great up until the other day.
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Since the first issue was the CEL not lighting up as it should that is where I would concentrate. First check the plug to make sure you have a good connection. Then I would consider doing the PCM repair that is well documented here and a bazillion other places you can find on the 'net. Once you get the CEL to light up when it should see just what else this YJ does before you go throw a box of parts at this YJ......and screw it up real bad! JK!
I think the CEL wasn't lighting up before due to an iffy connection. I messed around with the connectors (unplugged them and cleaned off a bit of corrosion) as well as the grounds, before noticing that the light was coming right on.
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
I think the CEL wasn't lighting up before due to an iffy connection. I messed around with the connectors (unplugged them and cleaned off a bit of corrosion) as well as the grounds, before noticing that the light was coming right on.
So since the connections have been cleaned the CEL comes on properly all the time? Not even once has it delayed to come on?

The next thing I would consider is the inline gas fuel filter. If you do not know when it was changed then it needs to be changed!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Next I would consider fuel pressure. Either the pump or the fuel pressure regulator could be the problem if low fuel pressure is the problem. Fuel pressure gauge time....

Unread 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, CEL never hesitates now, on as soon as I have the key in the on position (however it does go off after a few seconds, I don't recall if it should or not). Gonna do all the routine stuff to it this week provided that I don't have too much hw and then hopefully all will be well. So annoyed that it just happened all of a sudden.
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes its normal for the cel to come on for 2-3 secs then turn off.
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
yes its normal for the cel to come on for 2-3 secs then turn off.
Gracias.

Been a couple years since my last YJ ownership.
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update on this: Hot start it fires right up. Let it sit for a few hours and go out there again, needs me to finagle it to get it to start. Not sure what that translates to.
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
Update on this: Hot start it fires right up. Let it sit for a few hours and go out there again, needs me to finagle it to get it to start. Not sure what that translates to.
Translation for finagle??

I figure fuel pump issue would happen all the time or after a bit of driving once the fuel pump heats up.

Maybe you should dump the learned memory in the PCM and go from there.

Unread 11-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Translation for finagle??

I figure fuel pump issue would happen all the time or after a bit of driving once the fuel pump heats up.

Maybe you should dump the learned memory in the PCM and go from there.
By finagle I meant the same as what I did before, pump the pedal while cranking. But if the fuel pump was an issue it wouldn't even run smoothly or anything, once it's running it works just fine. Except for when it stalled out, which has only happened a few times.

Definitely think it just decided to get dumb on me because it knew I had a week with less homework than usual.
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a tune up is needed and filter change.

sidenote: hows the 35's and dana 35 with 3.07 gears holding up?

Tags
no spark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.