Need some help making a decision. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some help making a decision.

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Need some help making a decision.

I have had my sons 88 Jeep 4.2L Project on old for a while but we are now starting to work on it. We almost just bought a newer one but decided we could just put some money into this one & come out better since we would know what we have

I live in TN & we do have emissions testing even though not as strict as many other states so I want his to pass of course.

We had decided to either go with the Howell TBI or the Mopar/Hesco MPFI kit. I was going to do the compression test to see how strong the engine is before deciding which way to go.

Now I have been offered a Professionally Rebuilt 4.2L engine with 4.0L Head professionally reworked with water jackets sealed. This also will come with complete wiring Harness & the MPFI etc.

Seems I will need the Dampener & maybe a fuel pump. I am researching to make sure of anything else that may be needed which is one of my questions here?

I also will not be giving a core so I will keep existing engine in this deal.

My reason for thinking of changing is Im not really that sure of the overall condition of the existing engine & with the cost of the Mopar MPFI as a factor I can just add a little more & replace with this rebuilt engine with the 4.0L head as well as MPFI which on the surface seems like a better approach. I have read here many times people giving advice for this setup or Strokers?

So what would any of you do in this case any advice is appreciated?

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I guess the price and how comfortable you are with the deal and builder is the deciding factor. Fuel injection is a huge plus so weigh everything and decide if its worth it.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Money is not the major factor I just want this Jeep to be reliable & run well.

I have been doing allot of reading & it seems many here like the 4.0L Head on the 4.2L. Being as I know nothing of the history of the current engine I kinda like the idea of a fresh engine as well as the MPFI.

The guy says he had an RV Cam & most parts upgraded because he was building it for his personal project 88 Jeep.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not saying money is the deciding factor, saying weigh the options if the price and knowledge of the builder are worth it. A person saying they did a lot of work is hard to prove if you didn't see the build. That is all I meant.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
Not saying money is the deciding factor, saying weigh the options if the price and knowledge of the builder are worth it. A person saying they did a lot of work is hard to prove if you didn't see the build. That is all I meant.
Sorry I didn't mean you was saying anything about price. Only thing as proof is receipts & contact info for shop.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes sir, no problemo.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.