Need some help with a Howell TBI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some help with a Howell TBI

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
spitsfire
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Need some help with a Howell TBI

I was wondering it some one could help, I'm just have a lot of trouble with my jeep, I have tried several thing to get it running and just can't seem to do it... the guy I bought it from had a webber carb on it and it ran ok but would lose power afer warming up, so I got a rebuilt carter to pass emissions and the jeep was missing a lot of the parts for the emissions. I bought a Howell TBI because I was told that this would cure any trouble that I have. I installed it myself took my time to try to do it right and when I started it the first time it ran at high idle and it wouldn't settle down, I tried the Idle adjustment jumper that Howell suggested and it didn't work either.... just could use some advice on it to see what could be tried to fix it it to get it running right... I am getting tired of this thing I have been working on it for quite some time now. I consider my self an able mechanic but this is kicking my butt...lol

spitsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you spend that much money on something you need to call them and make them make it right! To me is sounds like a vac leak creating a high idle or a bad iac. Somewhere I have info on reseting an iac. but i don't know that the howell system is the same.

This link might give you some info. You might have to register but worth the 3mins time.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=98718
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
spitsfire
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post
When you spend that much money on something you need to call them and make them make it right! To me is sounds like a vac leak creating a high idle or a bad iac. Somewhere I have info on reseting an iac. but i don't know that the howell system is the same.

This link might give you some info. You might have to register but worth the 3mins time.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=98718
Thanks Raynmaker, I printed this off and I think it will help, but I was planning on calling them also. Just was fishing to see if anyone had any ideas, I checked for vacuum leaks very first thing afer I got it started but can't seem to find any..... What is the IAC and what does it do this is the first time I have messed with a TBI...... I just noticed your from Colorado springs, I just live a little North of ya up by Greeley....
spitsfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.