Need some help with gears? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some help with gears?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Need some help with gears?

So pretend Im a total idiot when it comes to the gearing in the rear end of Jeeps...

I bought an 89 YJ and the guy had welded the rear end. So I wanna replace the stock Dana 35 with another stock Dana 35. I found one on craigslist for cheap that seems good...

He says it has 4:10 gears in it. Is that what would be in my Jeep stock right now? What sort of performance will 4:10 give me...? Really have no idea how that rear end gearing works...any info would be great! thanks.

Blstr88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

4 cyl all were 4.10, 6cyl could be several options but almost certainly not 4.10, at least not original.

4.10 will be a lot better on the trails and will give you a little more uphill power on the road.

check on the front or rear diff cover for a tag with your ratio as it is now. front and rear have to match within 1%.

where in NH are you?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

I live in Milton, right on the NH/ME border...about 30 miles north of Portsmouth.

You from the area? Oh and thanks! Ill take a look and see what I have...
Blstr88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
88cjwrangler7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

gears

hey,

a few things...

first off, your jeep is a six cylinder. you would have either 3.73s or 3.55. this is basically stock options for a 6.

second performance wise putting a rear with 4.10s will only benifit you if you are running bigger tires. stock gears are set up for stock tires and the driveline present. if you put 4.10 in you may get a little better fuel economy. 4.10s are stock for 4cyls. also if you want to use 4x4 you will have to swap 4.10 gears to the front axle as well. otherwise when you put it into 4x4 you will have the jeep buck uncontrollably due to the mismatched gears on the road. in the mud you will have it buck and may work better but you could do more damage to the rear if run that way.

good luck. in my opinion you should get a set of rears that are matched if you do you will be better off.
-235/75/15 tires
-soon to have xj44
88cjwrangler7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
I live in Milton, right on the NH/ME border...about 30 miles north of Portsmouth.

You from the area? Oh and thanks! Ill take a look and see what I have...
I'm from center harbor, many years ago.

the easiest and most common swap is to find a front axle from a 4cyl, meaning a Dana 30 with 4.10 gears. Then find an 8.8 from an explorer, also with 4.10 gears.

all this depends on your tire size, plans, type of driving and whatever else you can think of to factor in.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
sailmike83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88cjwrangler7 View Post
hey,

a few things...

first off, your jeep is a six cylinder. you would have either 3.73s or 3.55. this is basically stock options for a 6.

second performance wise putting a rear with 4.10s will only benifit you if you are running bigger tires. stock gears are set up for stock tires and the driveline present. if you put 4.10 in you may get a little better fuel economy. 4.10s are stock for 4cyls. also if you want to use 4x4 you will have to swap 4.10 gears to the front axle as well. otherwise when you put it into 4x4 you will have the jeep buck uncontrollably due to the mismatched gears on the road. in the mud you will have it buck and may work better but you could do more damage to the rear if run that way.

good luck. in my opinion you should get a set of rears that are matched if you do you will be better off.

I thought most 6cylinders had 3.07 gearing..?
sailmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
88cjwrangler7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

gears

i could be wrong i had a Cherokee with 3.55 stock i only have a 4cyl wrangler so i dont know if that is different for 6cyl yjs i apologize i only have alot of experience with 4 cyl yjs
-235/75/15 tires
-soon to have xj44
88cjwrangler7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
So pretend Im a total idiot when it comes to the gearing in the rear end of Jeeps...

I bought an 89 YJ and the guy had welded the rear end. So I wanna replace the stock Dana 35 with another stock Dana 35. I found one on craigslist for cheap that seems good...

He says it has 4:10 gears in it. Is that what would be in my Jeep stock right now? What sort of performance will 4:10 give me...? Really have no idea how that rear end gearing works...any info would be great! thanks.
Like what has been stated, your rear gear must match your front. If you have a 4 cylinder engine you will have 4.10 gears stock, and if you have a 6 cylinder you will have 3.55/3.73; but if your P.O. welded the rear it is also possibal that he also did a gear swap so you have 4.10's front and rear, or maybe just rear. Best insurance is to tear both diff covers off and figure out your gear ratios - divide pinion tooth count into ring gear tooth count and make sure front and rear are the same. from there you can weigh out your options, weather be it picking up a set of gears from the wreckers or buying a whole new axle.

hope this helped

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.