Need some guidance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some guidance

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Need some guidance

Alrighty fellow Jeepers, I need some advice or guidance. Within the past year my grandmother has passed and left the family with some money. My dad decided to give my sister and I each $1000 and then put the rest into savings. I've been struggling with the carburetor as of late and wonder if FI is my answer. Alright, here is the decision to be made. Do I use the money to install a FI onto my 4.2 or do I look around and swap in a 4.0L? Any other ideas are surely welcome. Thanks and hope you all can help me sway my decision.

jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your 4.2L Is pretty much a 4.0L already. You can just get the intake and underhood electrical from a 91-95 4.0L and swap it over to get FI. It would be much cheaper too.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I like where your going with this? Is there special casting numbers for the intakes and such? I will have to do some research when I get a chance.
jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is a very good thread on that swap. Some mods are needed for the power steering box and to the intake itself but looks easy enought.

Another option is a TBI from a gm. No mods (just adapter plate) but lots of wires which I think you have to do with the 4.0 intake also. (I went this way. Less labor but more thinking.)

You can also do the entire 4.0 head swap.
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is no special numbers for castings. The intake from a 91-95 4.0L wrangler or Cherokee and all the wiring from under the hood because they are very similar. No Grands because the ECU and wiring are different. Everything is pretty much bolt on. The ECU needs a crank position sensor input and a Vehicle Speed sensor input. So you need a Flywheel from a FI or the Hesco cranks setup and a VSS that combines the mechanical cable with a electronic output like the 91YJ. Last is the fuel. The MPFI have a closed loop system with high pressure pump in the tank. You can get a used tank and pump setup for around $100(It gives you an extra 5 gallons) and replumb the gas or get an external one that is self regulating.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ju...riteup-294427/

You can do it on the cheap and I think for under $500 be MPFI.

The head swap is something different and not needed for the MPFI. It suppose to give you an extra 40HP.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.