Need Some Advice. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Some Advice.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
JesseJeep22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need Some Advice.

Hello fellow Jeepers.

I'm new to this Forum, my name is Jesse and I reside in Southern California.

I recently bought a 95 Wrangler from its original owner.

This YJ is bone stock, clean title, 4 cylinders, 5 speeds, original 49,XXX miles.

I love this Jeep

I will keep this Jeep stock (I'll just add a 2 inch lift, to have new shocks/leafs)

It'll be my Daily Driver.
I know its under power on highway speeds and hills, but not too bad.

My question: Should I sell it and upgrade to the 4.0 liter?

Is it worth it? even though it'll just be a stock, daily driver.

Any of you out there have a stock DD?

(Later in life I plan to buy a JK 2 door, half doors, soft top and build myself a rig)

Please Help and Thank You!

JesseJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you like it I would keep. A 95 with 45k bought from first owner out of Southern California is a big score.

Positives
No rust
Low miles
Your second owner
95 has the best stock base package
Manual
You like it

Cons
4 banger
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't want it --- sell it to me. I'll give those 4 angry squirrels and 4:10 gearing the loving they deserve (as I ascend a vertical wall with that badass gear ratio).

I loved my squirrels. They never let me down on the trail and were great around town.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJeep22 View Post
Hello fellow Jeepers.

This YJ is bone stock, clean title, 4 cylinders, 5 speeds, original 49,XXX miles.

I love this Jeep

I will keep this Jeep stock (I'll just add a 2 inch lift, to have new shocks/leafs)

(Later in life I plan to buy a JK 2 door, half doors, soft top and build myself a rig)

Welcome to Jeep Forum Neighbor!

I'm just up the road from you, and I drive a very stock YJ. (See profile)

If you are going to sell it, you'll play hell trying to find a 91 or newer 4.0 with an automatic trans, but the 4.0 w/ 5-speeds are more available.

With the prices out here on Jeeps, I'd say to keep it. That little 4 banger you and I have are plenty capable and reliable. I've had no problems running freeways with 30" tires and you have a 4.10 gears. If anything, keep it as is, buy some half doors, and call it fun.

Adding a lift kit is always good, but not really necessary for a DD on stock tires.

If you reeeeaaally want to sell it, PM me, I'm looking for a YJ of my own. The one I steal is my daughters, and she's fed up with me getting it dirty without her.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you want more power, swap in a 4.0.
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
JesseJeep22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

bill8bud: Now that you put it that way, there are more pros and just a tiny con. LOL

Rproject: That 4:10 standard gear ratio is a big plus!

Luuca: Hello neighbor! you live just up north and nice to meet another stock YJ driver! and you're right.

After some consideration and help from you guys, I've decided to keep my 4 Banger YJ as my stock Daily Driver

Thanks for your advice and good day my fellow Jeepers!
JesseJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would probably go easy on the smileys

Glad you're here. Read, read, and read more. Before long, you too will be modifying your DD.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep thing is so simple to understand once you have driven one. It is the perma grin you get every time you drive it.

Enjoy your new obsession, this forum has a wealth of knowledge to assist you along your way.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome! Yj's rule!
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine looks stock.

stock is the new mod. everyone is modding theirs so much it is hard to find a stock one so they are super rare. keep it stock and be the odd guy on the road
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post

stock is the new mod. everyone is modding theirs so much it is hard to find a stock one so they are super rare. keep it stock and be the odd guy on the road
Keep thinking that. It's a lot cheaper to stay stock.
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
RustyNutts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, great find. I just bought a stock 94, and I'm doing the same thing---springs and shocks. Well, that's what I'm doing FIRST.
I need to trace down the most heinous squeaks/rattles with the hard top and one under the seat and I'll be happy as a puppy with two peters!

If you read much on here you'll soon find there aren't many folks that like the cheap lift spring kits as the ride is quite rough.
Especially if you are going to daily drive it, spend as much as you can on good (reputation) suspension, that's usually the consensus on here.

good luck and welcome to your new obsession
RustyNutts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNutts View Post

If you read much on here you'll soon find there aren't many folks that like the cheap lift spring kits as the ride is quite rough.
Especially if you are going to daily drive it, spend as much as you can on good (reputation) suspension, that's usually the consensus on here.

good luck and welcome to your new obsession
I'd have to agree. I choked a bit in the extra couple hundred bucks when I went OME on my current rig, now you'd be hard pressed to see me put anything else on. Best $750 I've ever spent.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I'd have to agree. I choked a bit in the extra couple hundred bucks when I went OME on my current rig, now you'd be hard pressed to see me put anything else on. Best $750 I've ever spent.
Replace OMe with BDS and you have my sentiments. Spend now and cry once cheap out and cry alot.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJeep22 View Post
Hello fellow Jeepers.

I love this Jeep

Hiya Jesse and welcome to the forum!

I have an 88 YJ that is like yours, 4 banger, 5 speed, on 31's and the only big mod was a 2" BDS lift kit. I have owned it for 14 months now and it is my first Jeep and I gotta say, I love this Jeep!

Yea on bigger hills you end up in third gear but hey, no problem, your still moving forward. I have taken mine on 250 mile trips to the coast from here several times and always have fun and the fun only gets bigger when I go off-road with it.

It has gotten me places that I could have sworn it could not go and back again. My big advice to you is to drive it stock for a few months to get used to it, to find out what it will and will not do for you. Then you can start modding it to your tastes.

And to the guys looking for a YJ this is in our local weekely Swap Sheet, I went and looked at it. It is dirty but it started right up and purred like a kitten but I don't know how it drives. It is white, has half doors, a body lift and good looking rims and fairly new tires. Oh and a bikini top.

1990 wrangler Jeep, 4 wheel drive, $2500.00. New tags call 760-377-4263.

I am only throwing it out there, I don't know the lady but she was very nice to talk to. Oh and last week she was asking $3500.00!

Tags
daily , driver , stock , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.