JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Need Some Advice. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/need-some-advice-1529793/)

JesseJeep22 05-29-2013 02:49 PM

Need Some Advice.

Hello fellow Jeepers. :wave:

I'm new to this Forum, :newbie: my name is Jesse and I reside in Southern California.

I recently bought a 95 Wrangler from its original owner.

This YJ is bone stock, clean title, 4 cylinders, 5 speeds, original 49,XXX miles.

I love this Jeep :D

I will keep this Jeep stock (I'll just add a 2 inch lift, to have new shocks/leafs)

It'll be my Daily Driver.
I know its under power on highway speeds and hills, but not too bad.

My question: Should I sell it and upgrade to the 4.0 liter?

Is it worth it? even though it'll just be a stock, daily driver.

Any of you out there have a stock DD?

(Later in life I plan to buy a JK 2 door, half doors, soft top and build myself a rig)

Please Help and Thank You!

bill8bud 05-29-2013 02:56 PM

If you like it I would keep. A 95 with 45k bought from first owner out of Southern California is a big score.

Positives
No rust
Low miles
Your second owner
95 has the best stock base package
Manual
You like it

Cons
4 banger

Rproject 05-29-2013 03:02 PM

If you don't want it --- sell it to me. I'll give those 4 angry squirrels and 4:10 gearing the loving they deserve (as I ascend a vertical wall with that badass gear ratio).

I loved my squirrels. They never let me down on the trail and were great around town.

Luuca 05-29-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseJeep22 (Post 15495079)

I'm new to this Forum, :newbie: my name is Jesse and I reside in Southern California.

This YJ is bone stock, clean title, 4 cylinders, 5 speeds, original 49,XXX miles.

I will keep this Jeep stock (I'll just add a 2 inch lift, to have new shocks/leafs)

(Later in life I plan to buy a JK 2 door, half doors, soft top and build myself a rig)

Welcome to Jeep Forum Neighbor!

I'm just up the road from you, and I drive a very stock YJ. (See profile)

If you are going to sell it, you'll play hell trying to find a 91 or newer 4.0 with an automatic trans, but the 4.0 w/ 5-speeds are more available.

With the prices out here on Jeeps, I'd say to keep it. That little 4 banger you and I have are plenty capable and reliable. I've had no problems running freeways with 30" tires and you have a 4.10 gears. If anything, keep it as is, buy some half doors, and call it fun.

Adding a lift kit is always good, but not really necessary for a DD on stock tires.

If you reeeeaaally want to sell it, PM me, I'm looking for a YJ of my own. The one I steal is my daughters, and she's fed up with me getting it dirty without her. :p

Anticanman 05-29-2013 03:35 PM

If you want more power, swap in a 4.0.

JesseJeep22 05-29-2013 03:50 PM

bill8bud: Now that you put it that way, there are more pros and just a tiny con. LOL :)

Rproject: That 4:10 standard gear ratio is a big plus! :cool:

Luuca: Hello neighbor! you live just up north :highfive: and nice to meet another stock YJ driver! and you're right.

After some consideration and help from you guys, I've decided to keep my 4 Banger YJ as my stock Daily Driver :thumbsup:

Thanks for your advice and good day my fellow Jeepers! :cheers2:

Luuca 05-29-2013 03:58 PM

I :) would :( probably :D go :p easy :rolleyes: on ;) the :drool: smileys :rofl:

Glad you're here. Read, read, and read more. Before long, you too will be modifying your DD.

bill8bud 05-29-2013 04:04 PM

The Jeep thing is so simple to understand once you have driven one. It is the perma grin you get every time you drive it.

Enjoy your new obsession, this forum has a wealth of knowledge to assist you along your way.

95YamJam 05-29-2013 04:16 PM

Welcome! Yj's rule!

superj 05-29-2013 07:07 PM

mine looks stock.

stock is the new mod. everyone is modding theirs so much it is hard to find a stock one so they are super rare. keep it stock and be the odd guy on the road

95YamJam 05-29-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superj (Post 15496161)

stock is the new mod. everyone is modding theirs so much it is hard to find a stock one so they are super rare. keep it stock and be the odd guy on the road

Keep thinking that. It's a lot cheaper to stay stock. :)

RustyNutts 05-30-2013 06:50 AM

Hey, great find. I just bought a stock 94, and I'm doing the same thing---springs and shocks. Well, that's what I'm doing FIRST.
I need to trace down the most heinous squeaks/rattles with the hard top and one under the seat and I'll be happy as a puppy with two peters!

If you read much on here you'll soon find there aren't many folks that like the cheap lift spring kits as the ride is quite rough.
Especially if you are going to daily drive it, spend as much as you can on good (reputation) suspension, that's usually the consensus on here.

good luck and welcome to your new obsession

Rproject 05-30-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNutts (Post 15497742)

If you read much on here you'll soon find there aren't many folks that like the cheap lift spring kits as the ride is quite rough.
Especially if you are going to daily drive it, spend as much as you can on good (reputation) suspension, that's usually the consensus on here.

good luck and welcome to your new obsession

I'd have to agree. I choked a bit in the extra couple hundred bucks when I went OME on my current rig, now you'd be hard pressed to see me put anything else on. Best $750 I've ever spent.

Siva283 05-30-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rproject (Post 15497896)
I'd have to agree. I choked a bit in the extra couple hundred bucks when I went OME on my current rig, now you'd be hard pressed to see me put anything else on. Best $750 I've ever spent.

Replace OMe with BDS and you have my sentiments. Spend now and cry once cheap out and cry alot.

jeff_in_rc 05-30-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseJeep22 (Post 15495079)

Hiya Jesse and welcome to the forum!

I have an 88 YJ that is like yours, 4 banger, 5 speed, on 31's and the only big mod was a 2" BDS lift kit. I have owned it for 14 months now and it is my first Jeep and I gotta say, I love this Jeep!

Yea on bigger hills you end up in third gear but hey, no problem, your still moving forward. I have taken mine on 250 mile trips to the coast from here several times and always have fun and the fun only gets bigger when I go off-road with it.

It has gotten me places that I could have sworn it could not go and back again. My big advice to you is to drive it stock for a few months to get used to it, to find out what it will and will not do for you. Then you can start modding it to your tastes.

And to the guys looking for a YJ this is in our local weekely Swap Sheet, I went and looked at it. It is dirty but it started right up and purred like a kitten but I don't know how it drives. It is white, has half doors, a body lift and good looking rims and fairly new tires. Oh and a bikini top.

1990 wrangler Jeep, 4 wheel drive, $2500.00. New tags call 760-377-4263.

I am only throwing it out there, I don't know the lady but she was very nice to talk to. Oh and last week she was asking $3500.00!

The time now is 07:16 PM.