Need review on muffler/tailpipe job on 1991 Jeep wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need review on muffler/tailpipe job on 1991 Jeep wrangler

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Need review on muffler/tailpipe job on 1991 Jeep wrangler

Well, last week, I cut off the old muffler and tailpipe because they were rusted beyond repair and installed a new muffler and tailpipe. I am now worried that I may have installed the tail pipe incorrect because I believe the tail pipe is supposed to go over the red circled bar in the picture but I installed it below it. There are no leaks, it does not interfere with any brake lines, I am able to move the vehicle perfectly, and it blows the exhaust away from the vehicle. I don't have a lot of time to take the assembly apart and re do it so I am wondering if my placement will harm my jeep or affect any aspect of the driving experience?

thefunkbassist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
kmagnuss
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it's supposed to go over the track bar.
It won't hurt anything until you flex real nice and pinch it.
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't plan on going off roading as much, I'm mainly using this jeep for commuting and commuting in bad weather. Will It possibly pinch it from driving it commuting?
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
kmagnuss
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I highly doubt it unless you hit some crazy speed bump or dip in the road.
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, thanks for the help
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cut off the track bar... Problem solved!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A couple passengers or a load and one speed bump and that pipe will get crushed. There is a reason the stock part has a big inverted U shape back there. Why didn't you just get the correct part to put in? Besides it being a pain to get in if you aren't on a hoist?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya know that big tube right under the new exhaust pipe? That's your axle. It moves up and down. It will undo your installation for you if you don't correct it first.

Tags
exhaust , jeep , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.