need to replace transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need to replace transmission

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
dsmjrv

need to replace transmission

i have a 1987 YJ with the 4.2l and a 5spd manual tranny... just recently towing it home from the pismo beach dunes, it slipped into gear and blew out 1st and 2nd gears...

basically i just need to know what transmissions are bolt ons... i was thinking i would just try to find someone with a junk cherokee on craigslist or something and pull that trans... i see alot of cherokees for under 500 because of a blown motor or something of that sort. will a 4.0l cherokee transmission bolt up to where my 4.2l is and work with my transfer case? and are all 4.0l jeeps EFI?

dsmjrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

try a search on AX-15 and NV3550 swaps. those seem to be the most popular for what your trying to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.