Need rear dana 35 help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need rear dana 35 help

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
GA05SPORT
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Need rear dana 35 help

Well... I hate always having problems but here I am again.

Appeared to have pinion bearing failure... pinion gear chewed up.

Got replacement Ring and Pinion Master Repair Kit along with Carrier Bearing Kit. All set to deliver to my installer for R/R.

He ask that I remove axles and clean up housing. Plan was to also replace axle seals.

Purchased the wonderful 1/4 12pt wrench for the carrier pin lock bolt. Seem to come out easy. Pin would not move but barely. Several posts referred to some issue with pin also freezing itself onto spider gears. Soaked with PB Blaster got HD punch and hammer and started. Finally started to move!
Sweet... then uhhhhhh that looks wierd. Well yes it does when in fact the bolt didn't just come out it snapped. So now I have a trashed carrier and pin.

MAIN Question: Will ANY D35 carrier work. TJ, XJ, ZJ ?

All I need is the carrier and pin. My spiders look pretty good and like I said I have the rebuild kit for most the other stuff. Local Pull-A-Part has a ZJ that I may go after ( and get the Disc Brake stuff while I tear it apart ).

Expert advice appreciated and welcomed!

GA05SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Why didnt you go 8.8??

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
GA05SPORT
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry but it's just a simple Daily Driver... nothing serious.. No $$ for the modification work. Got gear kit for free ( b-day present ).
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heave the whole thing in a dumpster and put in an 8.8. Spending for anything more than brake shoes is a waste of money on a D35 and even that is quationable.

This repair is already going to set you back a few hundred with no gain.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Free is good.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah any d35 carrier and pinion will work out of jeep. same rearend different casing design for coils springs or leafs.
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

there is a carrier break below 3.55, as far as I know.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
GA05SPORT
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My research gives me the same information. So my idea is to have a fun day removing dif covers looking for the correct numbers for my application. Perfect would be a Grand Cherokee with disc brakes so all the effort gives something extra.

I've learned thru this experience the quick way to determine the ratio... the last two numbers stamp on the ring gear is the teeth count of the set. Divide the first number by the second and you know the ratio.
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If it were me I would rotate the carrier so the side of the cross pin with the broke retaining bolt is facing the front of the jeep (inside the housing). Then I would get a BFH and some kind of punch to try and knock it through and break the retaining bolt. It might not be too bad since you loosened it and it's only got maybe 3/8" length of thread. The rest is smaller in diameter only for holding the cross pin in.

What's the worst that could happen? If you can't get the cross pin out then you can't get the c-clips out which means you can't remove the axle shafts.

BTW, I'm going to pull-a-part tomorrow in South Atlanta around lunchtime. I know they usually have cherokee's laying around.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
GA05SPORT
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Louie,

Oh I got the pin out far enough to pull my axles out. But the small bit of what was left of the bolt in the pin jacked up the carrier pretty good I think... and the pin is most likely toast as well.... My current plan is to be at Pull-A-Part North tomorrow.

Whatcha after for you?
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA05SPORT View Post
Louie,

Oh I got the pin out far enough to pull my axles out. But the small bit of what was left of the bolt in the pin jacked up the carrier pretty good I think... and the pin is most likely toast as well.... My current plan is to be at Pull-A-Part North tomorrow.

Whatcha after for you?
At least you can get the carrier out. That's a plus.

I need a new female drivers side seat belt. The spring broke in mine and it won't latch anymore. I actually had to bucked to the pass. side today and that sucks.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
GA05SPORT
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Replacement carrier obtained... found someone that had one in a TJ rear, same ratio, had eaten a spider gear and gouged up the carrier .... some Dremel work took care of that. Taking it to my installer now with all the new parts... Last questions ( hopefully on this issue )...

Do the Dana 35 C rears have a true inner axle seal? It actually looks like there is just a ring of silicone in there now. Found info on Quadratec about a DRIVER'S side inner axle seal but nothing about the other side.
And finally found one post that says it's just RTV but then the sub question is...How, if there is an inner seal, do the outer axle bearings and seal get lubricated.
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The axle shaft seals are at the ends of the axle tube flanges.

Gear oil passes along the tubes & lubricates those outer bearings.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.