Need Quick AX5 Assembly Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Quick AX5 Assembly Help

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Wylie_Tunes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need Quick AX5 Assembly Help

Im in the process of reassembling our AX5 after replacing a spun 1-2 syncro. Im at the point of assembling the shift forks and have a detent ball that I cannot figure out where it goes. Its the smaller oval one, about .5" long and is the ONLY one. The other oblong detents are much larger in dia. Pic attached of the detent in question, as well as a pic of the shift fork assembly.

If someone can point to where this little guy goes, It would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Wylie_Tunes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, think I found it a home. This is the only shaft that has this type of hole.

Unread 10-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Wylie_Tunes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Put it shift shaft back in with that detent ball in that slot, fit the rear case on, clamp it in place, bolted in the shifter and it feels like ive got 1-5 and reverse!
Unread 10-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Wylie_Tunes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After nearly 2 years waiting on me to rebuild the trans, the beast is back on the ground running. Short test drive was successful, trans seems to shift just fine. Gotta few minor things to do before its road worthy, then its on to the cosmetic upgrades and other mods.

Unread 10-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
1320yj

I just finished rebuilding two of those transmissions and the only thing that I stumbled on a bit was the location of the detent balls and springs and pins. Once I found a detailed diagram of an AX-15 then it went smoothly. The second one I didn't even look at the manual. I am glad it worked out for you.
Unread 10-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Wylie_Tunes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully yours will work out too. I found that the springs in the intermediate plate were all the same length, and the one short one was in the rear case half. I too looked at quite a few exploded views. The couple of pieces I questioned, never seemed to be illustrated on any of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.