Need Pulse Air system for 87 YJ 4.2L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Pulse Air system for 87 YJ 4.2L

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 10-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
cpoliv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Need Pulse Air system for 87 YJ 4.2L

Hello all, Ive picked up a used 87 YJ that runs pretty rich and doesn't pass emissions. Any idea where i might pickup a used Pulse Air system? PO removed everything. Still have the charcoal cannister. The temp sender unit has been disconnected, can't find the wire to hook it up. This also causes my stepper motor to not work. Any idea where to find that wire? I heard it was tan on the 87?

Jeep runs great at speed, sputters some at idle. One mechanic told me definitely an intake manifold leak when he looked at it. Think thats the sputter prob? Ive also heard an engine running rich could clog the cat. Exhaust blows pretty well at the tail pipe, but can actually feel the sputter.

For reference, sounds exactly like this video, only the sputter noise is more frequent.

cpoliv2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Tang87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The pulse air system is a real pain in the butt to mess with. Mine the tube was rusted all the way through the pipe making it just leak out the exhaust. I pulled my valves and everything on mine when I went with a MC2100...I remember I've found the tube, but it was expensive just for emissions that I don't need to pass.
Tang87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You would be better served by ditching that stuff and getting the MC2100 and doing a nutter bypass.
MaddBones702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Tang87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/parts-a...on-systems.htm here is where I found it
Tang87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you have visual inspection in CO that means you have to have the pulse air system, I would not try to put it back. The computer/sensor controlled part of the emissions system is probably totally trashed at this point.

You should look at this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

I'd try to get it to pass without replacing the carb by fixing the vacuum leaks, tuning it up with better parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/ and getting all the non-computer based emission components working. See this for what controls what: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/control.htm

If you want to (or have to) get the old computer based emission system going, this explains it

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I may still have the whole set up off mine, if I do it's your for the cost of shipping. I'll look tomorrow.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WOW Chris!!! You are incredibly generous!

CPO is in metro-Denver and absolutely requires a complete system subject to visual inspection and they're quite touchy about it. Considering all of the components required your offer is quintessential Perfection, SIR!

CPO ... two items which may be of interest to you.

First, the seller of a Colorado vehicle must provide the buyer with an emissions certification by state law. If the seller did not do so, and you purchased the vehicle in good faith to be operated on public roads, then you have every right to void the sale. Ask any auto dealer.

Second, should you chose to accept Chris' offer I'll help you install and tune the system/carb which can be done in a day if all the parts are there. I've lots of spare parts as well so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm in Conifer with a fully compliant '89 DD so it's no big issue.

Glad to contribute, in support of Chris, if I can.
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am gonna call the guy that bought my motor to see if I left it attached or not, If he doesn't have it I still do but my junk pile is quite large.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
cpoliv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the prompt replies! Tang/Madbones, I only wish I could do away with it but I'd have to move out of this area! Dancy I took it in a couple times and it did fail emissions and visual, said I need a air pump at least.

Wow Chris if you can get it that's amazing! Thank you very much just let me know what you need for shipping! then I'm up for a drive to conifer, you open weekends unfocused?

There's a few junkyards here with cj's and yjs from that period. Can maybe get a few parts we are missing there if needed.
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
cpoliv2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So went to U Pull & Pay here in Denver, had an 88 and a few other 4.2's. I made the mistake of mentioning smog pump and they said no can't take any emissions equipment off the engine? Wow didn't know a junk yard was so stingy!! So if anyone ever goes for this system just say air valves etc. Even mention smog pump and you are SOL. Doubt they would even know what the Pulse air system is if they saw it!
Unread 10-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

see what this guy might have for sale.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...ic-qs-1281241/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi CPO, yes weekends are preferred. After reading your posts I'm a little concerned that you might not know what you're looking for. There is no smog pump on your yj.

The link to sprynet that dancytron provided pretty much explains the entire system. You will need: a factory air cleaner assembly, the metal tubes which run to the cat and the exhaust header, the pulse check valves (don't get used ones, they're most likely bad and will mess up the carb and you won't pass anyway), the pulse air valves (again, get new ones), the three pulse air vacuum solenoids on the valve cover between the air cleaner and the firewall, the 10-4 vacuum switch on the firewall, the EGR and the EGR CTO valve, the computer (mounted on top of the heater assembly near the shift lever), a vacuum reservoir (sphere about the size of a softball) mounted on the passenger fender under the battery, the pulse air decel valve, the wiring harnesses, and about eight hundred feet of vacuum line (just kidding.)

Here's a suggestion: Would you like to survey your system first in order to find out what you'e got and what you need? That'll probably help in the long run.
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.2 , emmision , exhaust manifold , pulse , smog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.