Need a price check please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
FranknJeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Need a price check please

Hello all, I know that this may not be the place for it but I am in a hurry and not sure where to put this post. I have come across a 1989 wrangler for sale. It has 133k miles on it no rust that I can see. Frame looks good and I pulled the carpet back and no rust there. It has an 8000pound winch and itís on 33" tires that are in decent shape. It has a soft top hard factory doors and it has the I6 carbed motor 5 speed. Needs exhaust from header back and looks like a rear main seal and valve cover gasket. I can do the work no problem and it will be a second vehicle to play around with. Over all it just needs a lot of TLC. He wants $600 for it. It does run. Is that a good price? I guess that it will take about $500 to put it right with me doing the work. Any help would b great as I want to move on it if itís a good deal.

Thanks for the help.

James

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

buy it

-Erik <--- can't believe you spent the time to write this as opposed to just buying it. $600 is chump change

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 PM
T1m0thy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'll take it... where is it... i need it!

post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 AM
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can't go wrong...don't waste any more time on this forum asking questions like this!! LOL Buy it tomorrow...don't come back until ya have!!! Good luck...good deal, make sure the title's clear....otherwise, it's just a buncha parts
post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 12:39 AM
BrokeJoke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Whats this guys number, Id buy it!

"Live like a dog, If you cant eat it or screw it, piss on it and walk away"
post #6 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangfire77
Hello all, I know that this may not be the place for it but I am in a hurry and not sure where to put this post. I have come across a 1989 wrangler for sale. It has 133k miles on it no rust that I can see. Frame looks good and I pulled the carpet back and no rust there. It has an 8000pound winch and itís on 33" tires that are in decent shape. It has a soft top hard factory doors and it has the I6 carbed motor 5 speed. Needs exhaust from header back and looks like a rear main seal and valve cover gasket. I can do the work no problem and it will be a second vehicle to play around with. Over all it just needs a lot of TLC. He wants $600 for it. It does run. Is that a good price? I guess that it will take about $500 to put it right with me doing the work. Any help would b great as I want to move on it if itís a good deal.

Thanks for the help.

James
If you were the current owner, knowing it's true/real current condition - would you be selling it for $600? If not - you have to ask yourself what possible hidden issues this Jeep has that the current owner isn't telling you about.

People usually do not sell a car for less than it's real or percieved worth, unless there are unspoken issues.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
FranknJeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys I will see him in the am I will get the Jeep. Worst comes to worst I can prob. part it out and get $$$ back. LOL. The owner is 19 I think it looks like he is just ready to get rid of the nickel and dime aspect of it because he really canít afford the little constant repairs on it. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks
post #8 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 AM
T1m0thy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't buy it let me know and I'll head out...
post #9 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 AM
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangfire77
Thanks guys I will see him in the am I will get the Jeep. Worst comes to worst I can prob. part it out and get $$$ back. LOL. The owner is 19 I think it looks like he is just ready to get rid of the nickel and dime aspect of it because he really canít afford the little constant repairs on it. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks
If you had to, you could make those 600 beans back from the doors and winch alone.

OH WAIT. WHAT?
post #10 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
FranknJeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going this afternoon to look at it in the daylight and to possibly get it. I have liked the CJ/YJ style of jeeps for a very long time. My dad had a mid 70's (cant remember exact year) cj5 when I was growing up. I loved that thing. But a friend of his was a big dune 4x4er rolled his cj5 and was killed. So he sold his because he did not want me to roll it. Anyway so I know some things about them but not the nitty gritty. Any tips on what to really look at on this Jeep? I know with the price I am getting it for I canít really go wrong. But just for my own knowledge where are the problem rust places? I know to look under carpet in the front and back under rear taillights. But anywhere else? And also any other advice would be great. I probably will get it and if it turns out a total basket case I will part it out LOL.

Thanks guys.

James
post #11 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
MetZenDS
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you don't get it, you better pass the info on to us!

For rust, check where the shackles meet the frame, front floor pans, rockers, and see what carb is on it. If it still has the stock carb, your first buy should be a MC2100 or a Weber 32/36. I prefer the weber, but thats just me.
Anyways- GL with your find! great deal, even if there are motor issues!

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ- PARTING OUT-
post #12 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 06:48 PM
MrZ71
1987 YJ Wrangler 

buy it even if it has some problems would be a good price to have a project start at

/l , [____], '87 YJ 4.2 Auto Howell EFI
l---L--[]lllllll[]- lifted and locked on 35's
()_) ()_)--o--)_) Super 30 and 44, 4.88's
l____l 09 JKU Sahara Rock Krawler 2.5
(OlllllllO) Ripp supercharger 35x12.5's 5.13's
[]--O--[] magnaflow D.I.Y. exhaust -James-
post #13 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
FranknJeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys I bought it. I am now the proud owner of a JEEP! LOL I can pick it up on Sat. He needs to get his stuff out and get the title. I ended up getting it for $350 plus a RC car that I have been trying to get rid of for a year. Ended up out of pocket right at $600 for it. I will post a pic in a new post with the info on it. Theres a lot of work that needs to be done. It looks like a grease grenade went off in the engine compartment. It needs a master cyl or brakes need to be bled and some exhaust work. Thanks for all your help.

James
post #14 of 16 Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 AM
bogger jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you never bought it.. you stole it... how will you sleep at night.???
post #15 of 16 Old 10-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Mrwazmo
2010 JK Wrangler 

I could make double that on parts!! Do it!! Welcome to the board and the addiction...

2010 JK Unlimited (just bought and started building)
35s, 3.5 Rubicon Express
2005 Lotus Elise
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.