Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need Power!! 91 Wrangler

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  andrew383 
#1 ·
I have a 91 wrangler 4 cyl with 34" super swampers on it and the power is terrible. I'd like to do something about this as cheaply as possible, maybe gears? In the sand 2nd gear is a dog and on the road 4th gear is a dog. Would 4:11's be a good choice in gearing to help me out in these areas? Or is there an easier way to get the power back? :confused:

#3 ·
defitileny wanna do gears, 4.11 would work but i would say do 4.56's

#6 ·
I'd say, the 4.56 or 4.88 in my eyes would be great if you're like me. I like to have some power, but slow and steady is my game.

As for power, you could always do a full tune-up and see if you get a little more. I know my PO didn't do a tuneup for four years so I just finished mine on my squirrel powered 2.5. I noticed a good bit of power gains overall and only spend about $100.

Also, getting a cone style filter can help, as will a more free flowing exhaust (watch your valve seals though, too free flowing can cause some problems with older seals I've noticed. I don't know why or how, just have experienced it before.

Things I've changed :
Plugs
Wires
Distributor cap
Oil/Oil Filter
Fuel Filter (can cause a LOT of power loss if bad or clogged)
Air filter
Thermostat
Anti-Freeze (Radiator Flush)
A couple of sensors also, one majorly being my O2 sensor the day I bought it.

The other options begin with forced induction (turbo/superchargers) and end with massive engine swaps. I'd just buy a few little goodies for now to see if your 2.5 can come back to life before even debating the issue of a new engine

#8 ·
cool thanx for the responses how'd 4:88's do on the road running from 40-50 mph, would I notice the difference, I'd also like to climb hills in 2nd gear which is a no go now. I'm reading my gearing is 3:07 factory for this year. 91 4cyl 5 spd. Is it true 3:07 ratio?

#10 ·
Do the 4.88s and you'll see a big difference. You'll be able to use fifth gear on the slab and climb grades in fourth that you labor up in third now.

#11 ·
Gears for sure. As for the engine, MSD ignition, 4.0 tb and spacer, intake and 19 lb ford mustang fuel injectors. These are idea's I got from reading the 4 banger jp forum.

#14 ·
You will not be able to post pictures on here untill you have 50 or more post. Use photobucket.com for picture for in the forum. I use the img link for forums. :tea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.