Need new springs and shocks. Cheaper to buy a kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need new springs and shocks. Cheaper to buy a kit?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Need new springs and shocks. Cheaper to buy a kit?

Well I have saved up some cash and we all know what that means. Yup, it's time to blow it on the jeep. So when I bought my jeep it had a Skyjacker 4" lift and 32" BFG MT's on it and a t-case drop. The PO said that he installed everything in 1995. So that puts the springs and shocks at over 15 years old. Here is a pic when I bought it. To me, it seems like it should clear these 32's a little better.

Since then I have added 5/8" MORE booms on the front and I plan to add the same to the rear soon. I plan to go to a full size 33x12.50 tire when the time comes and add a 1" body lift for chits and giggles.

When I bought it:

As it sits now minus my winch:

So I want to get some very good quality springs. I would like BDS but hey i'll settle for what I can get. I only want to spend around 600 to 700 dollars. I need leafs, shocks, and u-bolts. I haven't found any BDS springs for sale by themselves.

I know that springs wear out and people need to replace just the springs. Im sure some of yall have done this. I'm just looking for the most economical way to go about this.

Best deal I found was this: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_5002.htm

Or an entire kit with bilsteins: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16303_0005.htm

Last edited by SloppyJoseph; 06-01-2010 at 03:58 PM..
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered the RCD kit today. If you order it call Quadratec because it's listed for $699.99 in their latest catalog! They'll give you the lower price.
glenn-91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
acat
1990 YJ Wrangler 

call bobs supply in oklahoma city for a good deal on bds springs shocks. Saved me a bunch of money.
acat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bob Supplee's number is (405) 799-8977. If all you need is springs and shocks you'll 100% sure come out better off buying just those than a kit and most likely end up with better quality.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^ Thanks for the info. Thatd be a nice excuse for a road trip to OK.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
acat
1990 YJ Wrangler 

They will ship it to your nearest bds distributor for no charge. Look it up on the bds suspension website.
acat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A set of good 3 1/2" arch springs shouldn't cost you more than $200-250 for the set and shocks are about the same..... Should keep you well within your price range. You should be able to fit 33's with some hardly noticable trimming to the rear wheel well.....
wrangler76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe that the 3.5" nets around 4 inches total correct? Turns out I have a BDS dealer right down the road so I will be doing some calling. You guys are on top of your game.
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoseph View Post
^ Thanks for the info. Thatd be a nice excuse for a road trip to OK.
BTW, Sniper Fab is right outside of OKC too, and Bob's got their stuff in his shop cheaper than I've seen it anywhere. Just for future reference.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.