need more traction, locker questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need more traction, locker questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
smiley7661
1994 YJ Wrangler 

need more traction, locker questions

took my jeep out for the first time on a trail ride and found some issues getting enough traction.

it is a 94 4.0 with 32's and a very stiff pro-comp lift (I think 2"). I want to go out and do it again but would like to upgrade some stuff so I dont slip and slide as soon as the trail is not level. Every time there would be a bump on one side of the trail or the other, my tires would break loose and I would have to back down and try again..... so here is my ideas and questions for most bang for the buck....

1. swaybar disconnects- I see that most of the ones that I have seen online are for larger lifts than I have, not knowing the exact lift I have makes it hard to figure ouw which setup to get.

2. Locker- after getting more flex I would like to be able to get it to the ground a little better. I have the stock axles 30-front 35-rear.. so my question would be, should I put a lunch box locker like the aussie or the detroit true-trac in the 30 up front? I have read alot of the posts, but most of them have lockers front and back, and my budget is only one locker at this time... will that be beneficial and safe, or just a waste till the new rear axle is installed and locked also?

My primary use is trail, a rock climb if I have to.. but mostly just trail.

smiley7661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
fbv193
1993 YJ Wrangler 

First, the Detroit TrueTrac is not a "lunchbox locker". It is a full case torque biasing differential. If you only have the budget for one locker, I would put it in the rear, especially if you run 4WD on the street in slippery conditions. I run a Truetrac in the front in combination with a Detroit Locker in the rear. I like the TrueTrac up front, but would not want it by itself without the full locker in the rear.

Some argue for the front if only running one locker, and they may have valid arguments. If I was in your position with limited budget, I would put an Aussie or a Spartan in the rear. I just put a Spartan in the rear of my wifes Dodge Dakota and am really impressed with it so far. Very mild mannered on the street. Usually, if I lift a tire on the trail, it is a rear tire, so a locker does more there in my opinion. Also, when climbing a steep hill, weight transfer puts more weight on the rear.
fbv193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You're in woodland, there is no snow to contend with on the roads in the winter. Aussie in the front will suffice.

By the by, do you still have your track bars on? And yes, you may be able to negate a locker if you just adios'd your swaybar.
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure your shackles are not over torqued too. 35-40lbs. some instructions say 80-90#. this will help with spring droop and soften the ride a bit..

as said ditch track bars and sway bar...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Forget doing anything till you air down your tires for off roading. 12 psi is safe and 10 is not out of the question.

Just doing that will make your YJ an entirely different ride.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Spartan in the front and with the cad it is invisible till you put it in 4Wd. The track bars will stiffen the ride and limit flex and yes it is perfectly harmless to remove them. Next I have to say greasing your bushing will make way more difference than loosening the shackle to 30 ft lbs. Now I did run mine at 45 till I noticed the bolts making the holes oblong. So I took it all apart, greased it then torqued it as tight as I could and now it just as smooth.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
bowtech
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest eliminating the front and rear track bars and the sway bar all together, (save the sway bar disconnect money for later upgrades), and air down to 12 - 10 psi and go wheel it. Decide how you like it and then proceed from there. You can install a lunch box locker in you driveway without having to do gear setups and such. Front or rear, your choice. I have driven vehicles with one or the other and they both did fine. I have seen quite a few guys wheeling open diffs and they did fine, you just have to pick your poison when out on the trail.
bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What trails are you riding?
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

On my 95 YJ I ditched the sway bar and track bars, added an Aussie up front, then when I went wheeling I aired down to 10-8 psi.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
smiley7661
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am in Norcal, I was up at cow mountain on just some trails... I knew my sway bars were a part of the cause.. but it was my maiden voyage with the YJ, and also as a driver of anything offroad....

I did air down, about 19 at first, then down to 15 and it was better.

You guys say ditch the sway bar.. are you talking totally, or just wheeling? I dont DD this jeep... but I do take it to work which is 35 hard and fast freeway miles..
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley7661 View Post
You guys say ditch the sway bar.. are you talking totally, or just wheeling?
Totally. Never had an issue, my YJ was my DD, did lots of interstate driving, to and from the wheeling spots, at speeds of 70-75 mph.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I saw the pics from the trip recently. And yes just adios the entire thing. It could probably be used as some workout equipment somehow.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can completely ditch both track bars and sway bar and I DD mine. Steering is not affected and I don't notice too much body roll. My jeep has a 4" lift and 33's. you can always put the sway back on if yours feels unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Sounds like you could benefit from learning how to use the equipment you already have. Believe it or not, there is a lot of technique to off road driving. Just putting more gear on your ride still doesn't tighten up the loose nut behind the wheel.
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
smiley7661
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
Sounds like you could benefit from learning how to use the equipment you already have. Believe it or not, there is a lot of technique to off road driving. Just putting more gear on your ride still doesn't tighten up the loose nut behind the wheel.
Yes but all the cool bling might make it heavier so the nut behind the wheel can find traction

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.