need more power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need more power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 07-23-2001, 05:15 PM   #1
Somohllik

need more power

I have a 1990 YJ and i am looking to get more power without doing any major modifications. I have a K&N air filter on it and i am looking into other ways to get some better throttle response. I have a pretty much stock 4.0 5 spd manual jeep. I do have a 2 in. body lift and am running 33 tires. I am basically looking for relatively cheap and easy ideas to get more power. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

[url="http://www.Soundom.com/cgi-bin/affiliate.cgi?id=Slimmy"]Click here to make money for listening to music !![/url]
Somohllik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2001, 07:18 PM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The first thing you can do to unlock your engine is remove the intake restrictor. If you take the upper airbox lid off and look in the lid's neck, you'll see it is reduced to ~1½" diameter. There are two catches that you can release with a flat-blade screwdriver, and the restrictor pulls out easily with pliers. Fast, free, and good for close to 10 horsepower. You can go here for step-by-step pictures.

You'll also want to do something about your exhaust. Thorley makes a 50-state-legal header for the 4.0L (I love mine!). You'll also want to go for a Random Technology catalytic converter and a Magnaflow muffler. These pieces have worked wonderfully on my YJ! You can also get a throttle body spacer, but I'm not sure this would add significant power.

For sure, you'll want to upgrade your ignition. Look to MSD or Jacobs Electronics for ignition computers, coils, and plug wires. For plugs, I prefer NGK or Bosch, but plug choice is an unwinnable debate...

Much beyond these items, you'd be looking at either forced induction (supercharger) or internal engine work (stroker, camshaft, etc.)

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2001, 07:53 PM   #3
Somohllik

Thanks for the tips. I may try to remove the intake restrictor. If i do that will it have any negative effects on my jeep. What exactly does it do?? I am a little hesitant because i have no idea what it does.

As for the Thorley exhaust, I called to get pricing and they don't have it for my year of jeep. They have every other year, but not mine. Other than that i may look into getting the muffler you suggested and changeing my plugs. Thanks for the tips. Any help is appreciated.

[url="http://www.Soundom.com/cgi-bin/affiliate.cgi?id=Slimmy"]Click here to make money for listening to music !![/url]
Somohllik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2001, 03:11 AM   #4
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Removing the restrictor will have no bad effects. I removed mine, and it was like free horsepower. Seeing as you have a '90 though, you may not have the intake restrictor. I thought the '90 was still the 4.2L not the 4.0L...?

That's a bummer about the Thorley header. You might ask about a Borla header application instead. You'd need Borla part number 17062. Even if you can't find a header though, definitely go for the catalytic, muffler and ignition refresh. These items will improve power on virtually any vehicle.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.