Need More Flex - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need More Flex

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Need More Flex

So I was out doin some of this
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...OnLochRock.jpg
When I ended up doing this
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...se/3Wheels.jpg
Will removing my rear trac bar help with that? I heard I shouldnt remove the front since its a DD. What else can I do to keep the wheels on the ground? I had a similar post but now I cant find it so thanks to those of you who responded before.

Unread 11-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
jeepin92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

removing the track bars and sway bar would help a bit, in the second pic you would probably still be on 2 wheels. but get some quick discos since its a DD

[SIZE="1"]4.0L 5spd[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Rubicon 4" kit (5" of total lift)[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]5/8 Boomerang Shackles[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]2" body lift[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]35x12.50r15 Mickey Thompson MTZs[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Ford 8.8 Rear with Rugged Ridge diff. cover [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]4.88s[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Detroit locker in rear and Lock Right up front[/SIZE]

Last edited by jeepin92yj; 11-07-2006 at 06:50 PM..
jeepin92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
rezalien
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just my .02, removed my front track bar and noticed NO difference at all in the "street-ability" on road. It gave me a little more flex in the front and removing the rear track bar gave ALOT more flex in the back.

The sway bars on the front are going to limit your front flex quite a bit...from what I understand, disconnects work great for those if it's a dd.

<93 YJ, 4.0, 4" Skyjacker lift, 33" BFG A/T, 1 1/4" Greasable shackles, Herc'd tub, "custom" primer and gloss black>

go wheelin'...break something...take a week to fix it....go wheelin'...break something...take a week to fix it....go wheelin'...break something...take a week to fix it
rezalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
bombadillo

take all four off, and try it. Just do all of them at once. If you don't like it, start putting them back on one by one. Its way better to have them all off and if you don't like the feeling of being a little more tipsy in cornering, put the front sway back on, and so on.
93 white wrangler, warn rock crawler bumper w/guard, custom rear bumper, warn lights, superlift 3.5" suspension lift, Lift shackles rear, (Soon to be front too) crappy shocks, 32x11.50 BFG MT's on eagle alloy 10 hole wheels, Swaybars and track bars removed. H4 conversion headlights, Hi-Lift ghetto mounted, Header from above ^^ and other goodies.
bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

A buddy of mine had a lifted YJ and he had disconnects. He got tired of taking them off and putting them back on so he left them off, he didn't really notice a difference. You could always run Zboxes and revolvers (personally I wouldn't because they can be dangerous but you always could). I would try your sway bars first and if you don't like it with out them, keep the rear and try it without the front
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the click free Jeepin92yj

And thanks everyone else. I thought I read on here that I should take them off one by one. Its not like I speed in my Jeep though. If I wanted to go fast Im pretty sure I got the wrong vehicle. Ill take them all off tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
Unread 11-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

-remove trackbars as stated
-swaybar disconect
-rebuild bushings, make sure they are not frozen. polish the inscerts and make sure they measure at least 3 1/16" wide and not 3". lube them alot. make sure they can rotate inside the bushing itself. i use delrin inscerts and teflon full length leaf liners.
-rebuild shock mounting system and use longer shocks. the factory locations are one of this biggest limitations.
-remove stupid bumpstops that come with "lift kits."
-not only should your hydro brake lines be long enough but the parking brake cable needs to be lengthened even on the most conscervative lifts.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
-remove trackbars as stated
-not only should your hydro brake lines be long enough but the parking brake cable needs to be lengthened even on the most conscervative lifts.
Do I need to get longer brake lines before I take of the trac bars? I dont want to flex and rip the brake line out of place. I have stock brake lines that are going to get replaced soon with steel braided. I guess I could just wait and remove the trac bars after the brake line upgrade.
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No, with no lift you should be ok on stock brake lines. I ran 4" lift, no trac or sway bars with stock brake lines. They did stretch tight, so I took the clamp loose from the frame until I get extended lines.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy
No, with no lift you should be ok on stock brake lines. I ran 4" lift, no trac or sway bars with stock brake lines. They did stretch tight, so I took the clamp loose from the frame until I get extended lines.
I have 2.5" lift but if you have 4" I should be fine then. Thx.
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Find some place to flex it out to its max, slowly, and check your lines as you go. An RTI ramp works great if you have access to one
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
BIGWILL78
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I personally don't run either front or rear trac bars, HUGE difference in flex, no difference on road, mine is my DD and I drive on the highway at 75 just fine.
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #13
JeepTransformer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep yj was my daily driver till last week I bought a dodge to tow it and drive daily. I have 5.5 inch lift, 33" tires, and I had all trac bars, sway bars off... The only thing I had were my 3 inch leafs holding it on. I would drive the shi^& out of it at 80 mph from denver to dillon every day... Its fine man, and makes a smooth ride...
JeepTransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #14
JeepTransformer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

also 25% more flex with only sway bars off
JeepTransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jyj
also 25% more flex with only sway bars off
Im sold on takin the trac bars and sway bars off. Now it just needs to stop raining so I can do it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.