Need more clearance in the rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need more clearance in the rear

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need more clearance in the rear

after doing some flexing i found that i need more clearance in the rear...i am doing tube fenders in the front to help with that but no clue what to do in the rear???? any ideas? i really hate to cut the flares.
AND YES I KNOW MY REAR SHOCK IS DISCONNECTED...IT WAS TO SHORT AT THE TIME OF PICS

95 yj juggy, backhalfed, 3 link front with 16" fox dual rate remote resi coilovers, 4 link rear with 16" fox air shocks, Monster Stak 2 Speed transfer case 4.33:1, full width ford 78/79 dana 60hp front axle with 538 gears and full spool, ford sterling 10.25 full width rear axle with 538 gears welded and disc brake conversion, 42x15 swamper tsl's on 15x8 Allied wheels 3.5" backspacing with DIY beadlocks, High Steer with 1.5x.250 dom tubing, Full Hydro steering, custom cage, rci 2161a fuel cell ,smitty xrc 8 winch, cv driveshaft, jk motor mount lift, racing seats with simpson 5 point harnesses

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3-4-ton-axle-swap-has-begun-1108933/[/url]

"THE MORE YA PLAY WITH IT.....THE BIGGER IT GETS"
highrolrcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
91YJRockCrawler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

get TJ flares then cut the tub.. mine is cut out without flares

Quote:
its mind over matter.. I donít mind and the sheet metal donít matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
It's JF's very own little slice of Pirate :rofl:
91YJRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is no way to gain clearance without cutting in your case. Why not match the rear fenders with tubes as well, and open up the wells while you're at it?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well that looks like great flex to me, but TJ flares will get you another inch or so, an inch body will get you another inch, but if you really wanna go all out, just comp cut the sucker.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i want a clean look and i was thinking about doing the comp cut because i am looking to stretch the wheelbase in the future. already running a 2" body lift. and not that big of fan of the tj flares but i will do what it takes to get more clearance.....i wanna see how much flex i can get out of it and dont want the body to stop it.
ULTIMATE.....i did a search for rear tube fenders but didnt come up with much......any ideas on who makes some decent ones. also how would i open up the wells with tube fenders?

OH AND THAT FLEX IS WITH BRAND NEW 2.5" PROCOMP SPRINGS!!! everyone says they are very stiff but i think they seem to flex pretty good
95 yj juggy, backhalfed, 3 link front with 16" fox dual rate remote resi coilovers, 4 link rear with 16" fox air shocks, Monster Stak 2 Speed transfer case 4.33:1, full width ford 78/79 dana 60hp front axle with 538 gears and full spool, ford sterling 10.25 full width rear axle with 538 gears welded and disc brake conversion, 42x15 swamper tsl's on 15x8 Allied wheels 3.5" backspacing with DIY beadlocks, High Steer with 1.5x.250 dom tubing, Full Hydro steering, custom cage, rci 2161a fuel cell ,smitty xrc 8 winch, cv driveshaft, jk motor mount lift, racing seats with simpson 5 point harnesses

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3-4-ton-axle-swap-has-begun-1108933/[/url]

Unread 04-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For tube fenders with the max clearance, go Metalcloak.

http://www.metalcloak.com/Default.asp

Expensive, but I'm pretty sure they will give you the most clearance out of anything. On a TJ you can run 35's with stock suspension and metal cloak original fenders. Simontuffguy on the forum has 2.5" of lift on 33's with metal cloaks and he could easily fit 35's under there.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i really like the metalcloaks but.......$$$$$$ i think i would rather do a comp cut than spend that much especially since i am looking to stretch it in future. anyone else make tube fenders for the rear that i wont have to sell a kidney to buy...

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrolrcustoms View Post
anyone else make tube fenders for the rear that i wont have to sell a kidney to buy...
Nope. If you want clearance from fenders you're going to have to go full replacement. The only other company I would recommend is TnT customs, but they're also very expensive. Go metal cloaks up front and comp cut the rear, add some comp corners from Gen Right

GenRight, COMP Cut Full Corner Guards

Or you could go with the GenRight Hi-Line kit

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=TFF4XXX

Paired with their comp cut corners

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

after checking out genrights website i really like the 4" Hi-flare......
Tube Flares, 4" REAR Hi-Fender

seems like a pretty cheap way to get alot of extra clearance if that is the only thing i need to buy....i was looking at the comp cuts and the only ones they list are for stretch wheelbases and im not ready to do that just yet

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.