Need Ideas for tire coverage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Ideas for tire coverage

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Need Ideas for tire coverage

Ok so I need to pass inpsection on my YJ by the end of the week. The one major thing that I think will keep me from passing is that my tires stick out past my flares a good 3 inches. I don't have the cash right now to dump extended flares into it so that being said I'm looking for a homegrown way to get some tire coverage.

My first thought was Lawn Edging as I've seen this on many Jeeps and Trucks as a cheap way to get flares. However, EVERY place in town sells the same size edging which is only 4.5" wide. I need about 6" coverage from the fender. The only other thought I had was to cut up one of those rubbermaid totes into 7" strips and try attaching that. Not sure if it would work or not and the wife isn't going to appreciate me cutting one of her totes up to try it

Anyone have any other cheap ideas? I work at Lowe's so getting my hands on common items is pretty easy. Pictures would be great if anyone has done anything like this.

PS - Extended flares are in my future but it'll be a month or so till I can save up.

Unread 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I amde these from some alimium and some old thick rubber truck mudflaps....

best pic I could find, just cut the alumium and bolt it thru the top of the fender, the rubber goes on the backside, and follows the insdie of hte fender.... couple screw to hold it and your good...

the rubber bends nicely if I catch something and the metal on top is nice and strong, no problems after 4 years of running them... will get replaced with some metal cloaks some day but for now it keeps the police off me

those are 3.5" extensions... 6" may look goofy but if it keeps the locals happy!!

a truck flap is about 8" wide so trim it up and good to go.... any autoparts store will sell thick truck mudflaps.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You know those brush shields that hang down from motorhomes? That stuff. I saw a guy out in Colorado running as a flare to cover 42s, he just put it on, and trimmed it to get the length he wanted. Plus I'm pretty sure it's removable, and you don't have to worry about hitting trees.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko View Post
You know those brush shields that hang down from motorhomes? That stuff. I saw a guy out in Colorado running as a flare to cover 42s, he just put it on, and trimmed it to get the length he wanted. Plus I'm pretty sure it's removable, and you don't have to worry about hitting trees.

It is bulk rubber. You can buy it by the foot in I believe five foot width.

Check your yellow Pages. Runs about $15 a foot.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Trucker tire mats. Bolt 'em to your fenders, trim to desired coverage. When funds allow, replace.

I'm getting some Rubi flares, and they won't quite cover my tires. To fix this I'm thinking 1x2 box tubing bolted to the fenders and wheel wells, then bolt the flares to those. Get's that extra inch, looks beef.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

I wonder if i have to cover the whole fender or what the law is there. I looked at the inspection laws on the DOT website and it doesn't say....this is how it reads -

Saf-C 3211.06 Tire Width.
(a) A vehicle shall be rejected if the width of any tire or wheel assembly extends beyond the original manufacturer's specified fender lines, except in the case of passenger vehicles in which the fender line has been extended by using metal, rigid fiberglass or rigid rubber wheel-well extensions.

(b) Pursuant to RSA 266:57, if not equipped with proper fenders, a vehicle shall be rejected if not equipped with fender guards or flaps which prevent the throw, splash, spray of water, dirt or other matter upward or to the rear
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get a buddy to loan you a skinny set of tires.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

I don't have any friends, thanks for bringing it up!

HAHA, actually my dad has some 30"X9.5's but they stick out past the flares as well because of the BS on his rims
Unread 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Just an update - I'm gonna try my dad's tires even though they still stick out past the flares. It's only about 1" or so. If that doesn't work I'm going to make a wooden spacer to put between fender and the flares and that should get me past inspection. Then I'll pull them off and put them away till next year....HAHA!
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Could you just clip the lawn edging to your flares, it would look like crap but as a temporary thing it would get you through inspection and then you could take it off.
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

check craigslist for a set of tires on wheels. There are a ton of small trucks you can get them from pretty cheap. Just remember it only needs to work for about an hour, keep the tires for next time.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

thank me later.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...ml#post9930537

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...ml#post9930720
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^ omg......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

^^ that's great!! Not sure I'm willing to go that far though....haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.