Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need help with YJ purchase

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  VRT 
#1 ·
I'm considering buying this jeep, but it has a rebuilt title and the seller has only owned for about 8 months. no doors, no rear seat, no roof.

Should I stay away. Is a rebuilt title really that big of a deal?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5690854771.html

This would be my first jeep and the primary purpose is for my son to use to get to and from school on occasion and for me to take to the trail on the weekend.

Thank you for the advice.

#5 ·
The gauges are in the pictures on the link. I can tell you that the title is currently for colorado. I called them and they verified that this was a 94 based on vin, but yeah, I thought the roll bar was odd too.

I'm not sure if I can register a rebuilt vehicle in texas. Would I just need to call the DMV and ask?

Any other thoughts or opinions? I'm considering going to look at this tomorrow, but if enough people tell me to stay away, I will just skip it.

#6 ·
I wouldn't buy it as an investment, but if you plan on buying it as a platform that will be added to
and kept long term, ok.
Figure the lack of top n doors as $1200 right there.
The title knocks more value out.
YJ prices are rising kind of quick.
2 years ago I would have said walk for 3500 firm.
Now, I consider it even money for a 4.0 and no top/doors.
Ignore odometer, it could have a new speedo.
Look for rollover damage.
Rollbar change? Hood? Hmmmm.
Check spring hangers, they often bend after rolling.
Check air filter for excessive oil (blowby)
Look at oil and antifreeze for contamination.
Take it up to 55 and feel for death wobble.
Look for main seal leaks
Check for smooth clutch operation and shifting
Move carpet and look for crash damage or flood damage.
Good luck

#8 ·
Does 104K seem realistic for a 22 year old jeep? Probably pretty easy to switch out or monkey with that odometer?
I guess it can feasible if the jeep has been a weekend recreational vehicle for most of it's life or it sat idle for long periods.
Was Colorado able to confirm the mileage on it?

I'm sure the true value of the jeep lies in how it runs, drives, and looking closely at the mechanics; but $3500 firm does seem high to me, I just bought my 87 with 170K for $1600, my engine runs good, but it needs rear main seal (easy) and probably either clutch work or possibly tranny work/replacement (meh?). And mine has 4.2, 5spd, and has soft top and doors.

#10 ·
It's pretty easy to swap a gauge or gauge cluster. I wouldn't put much consideration on the stated mileage either. The value can be decided if the body and frame are solid and the engine and drivetrain are in good shape. Around here (northwest PA) people ask $3500 for a half rotten one as long as it runs and the inspection sticker is current, even though it can't pass the next inspection without major repairs.

*I think any YJ with that rollbar should have a mechanical speedometer cable going to the gauge... another way to tell if it's not as they say.

#12 ·
Run a carfax against the VIN. It is like $40 but could be well worth the money. That would potentially give you a clue as to why the title is rebuilt, will give mileage history and tell if there are odometer rollback/gauge replacement issues.

I just bought my first YJ a few months ago but I did pretty heavy market research on price before jumping in. I paid $6k for a 93 i6 5spd in really solid shape. Check the floor pans, and definitely frame topsides for any rust. If it looks as rough underneath as it does outside my guess is you'll see it. Also look at skidplate, all the driveline/exhaust for trail damage. New exhaust probably tells me he banged it up pretty good recently.

#14 ·
Price has been 3500 the whole time. I'm not sure what you mean by wash the title.

Also, the vin on the vehicle is a new vin issued in colorado. No information comes up on that as it's not a standard 17 character vin. When I run was I was told was the original vin it says everything was clean. No odometer readings. no accidents or salvage. it's almost like that vin doesn't even belong to this jeep, but it does come up as the same specs as this jeep. It's kind of strange.

#17 ·
It said 3500 firm before, I think.
Now it says offers.
Title wash means to use a service where some states don't do rebuilt titles, they only offer regular titles.
Then you title it in your state, badda bing, clean title.

Anyway, I've been examining it closely. As close as the pics allow.
I can paint it, so paint means nothing to me.
And when it comes to Jeeps, the title actually doesn't bother me either.
People cut Jeeps up, mix and match parts all the time.

Jeep body parts and interior parts are cheap and plentyful. Tops and doors can be pricey, but patience pays off. I recently picked up a hard top and two hard doors for 350 bucks.

Assuming it can be titled and registered to you, let's talk drivetrain.
The 4.0 is known for it's duability. 300,000 is not uncommon.
Even then, rebuilds or longblocks are fairly reasonable.

For 3500ish, of course you aren't gonna get a new Jeep.

Jeeps also go FAST. Really fast.

Go take a look, take it for a spin. Don't worry about the ride, that can be addressed. See how it runs. Do take a look in the air filter. They will blow out oil when the top end is worn.

I still think it's about even money. That is, let's say the motor is tired.
A long block is 1500. Let's say the top n doors are 800. Tires? 800.
Paint? 1000 or maybe less or... maybe it's time you learn how to paint!
Add all that up and compare it to what already nice Jeeps cost.

Or, Do what I did recently.
I got a rolled Jeep for my 16 year old and we fixed it up together. It was time WELL spent. That's priceless.
And he got much needed experience. A mechanic will never be able to rip him off when I'm gone.

That one might make a great father son project.

This is how our project turned out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.