Need help with YJ lift! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with YJ lift!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
ian401
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with YJ lift!

I have a '94 YJ, 5 speed, straight 6
I bought it with (I think) a 2" lift but the seller wasn't sure because he didnt put it in and only had it for 4 months.
i looked and it looks like there is a suspension lift but it is not high enough!

I am wanting to put a Rough Country 4.5" X-SERIES (Military Wrap Springs) and maybe 1" body lift. Would that clear 35s?

Also, I don't know very much about what i need. Rough Country recommends several things with the lift... i don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff i don't need, but i don't know if i need these things of not.

the list includes...
Steering stabilizer
Slip Yoke Eliminator
rear CV Drive shaft (4in)
Spring Eye Bolts
1.5" wheel spacers

so basically i to know what all of that is, and if i need them, or need something else, and what i need to do to fit 35" on my YJ.
I am new to this
Thanks!

ian401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum, Ian.

What you are asking is likely one of the most discussed topics here. Do a search and you will find more info than you can stand.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would slow down and start reading up on posts before you start spending money.

The only thing good on your list is a sye and dc shaft.

What about axles? You keeping the d30/35 combo with 35's?

Regear?

Also if you go with double mil springs you will need lift shackles of some sort.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

and stay away from the junk rough country springs.. spend a few more dollars and get OME 36R springs

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Ivonbenster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, stay away from RC. Your gonna wanna do your research.

What axles do you have? asking this cause that d35 isn't gonna handle long with 35's and a lift like that (unless you have the rare kind of d35 that is indestructible)

The CV shaft is what you will need for lifts pretty much higher that 2.5-3" but even then its recommeneded so you don't have to worry about your driveshaft angles and your driveshaft slipping out at random (thanks chrysler for this design) You can get by without it on a 2.5 - 3" lift

The lift you want is good for clearing 35's have you maybe looked at getting just a 2.5" springs with 1" body kit and 1" shackles. Its what i have on my pig and she clears 35's perfect

OME, Rubicon Express, and BDS springs are the best quality ones your looking but like me i was running a budget. Fabtech springs which i got off amazon for pretty much next to nothing for springs, are doing very well for me. No sag and great flex with 1" Shackles and 1" body kit.
Ivonbenster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What is your budget? That will determine a lot. If you don't have the funds to put on a good lift, don't skimp on lift springs, you will end up doing it twice and wishing you had done it right the first time. If you cannot afford a good lift, then save a while longer and then buy a good lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian401 View Post
I have a '94 YJ, 5 speed, straight 6
I bought it with (I think) a 2" lift but the seller wasn't sure because he didnt put it in and only had it for 4 months.
i looked and it looks like there is a suspension lift but it is not high enough!

I am wanting to put a Rough Country 4.5" X-SERIES (Military Wrap Springs) and maybe 1" body lift. Would that clear 35s?

Also, I don't know very much about what i need. Rough Country recommends several things with the lift... i don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff i don't need, but i don't know if i need these things of not.

the list includes...
Steering stabilizer
Slip Yoke Eliminator
rear CV Drive shaft (4in)
Spring Eye Bolts
1.5" wheel spacers

so basically i to know what all of that is, and if i need them, or need something else, and what i need to do to fit 35" on my YJ.
I am new to this
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! This is one of the most asked questions on here. Do some searching and you'll find more threads than you could possibly read. You'll also find that there are a thousand different ways to skin this cat so-to-speak...

First off, why do you want/need 35s? There is a fairly hard line between running 33s and running 35s correctly, with 35s requiring a significantly higher investment of time and money.

Seeing that you have been looking at RC products, I feel it's safe to assume that you are on a tight budget which tells me that 35s are out of your range right now.

Do not buy RC springs. As others have said, look to Old Man Emu, BDS, or Rubicon Express for springs. The best budget springs seem to be those from Zone Offroad. Check them out.

That said, how much are you willing to cut the body? With zero cutting, you'll need close to 6" of combined lift to fit 35s. This can be achieved with a quality 4" spring, a 1" body lift, and a 1" shackle lift. Never get a body lift or shackle lift greater than 1"...

Next, axles. The stock rear axle will not last with 35s and is questionable with 33s. You will need to swap that out to run anything bigger than stock tires in the long run, but it is a priority if going over 33s. Search and read up on ford 8.8 axle swaps.

Yes you will want an sye/cv shaft. Again read up on these so you know why...

You will only need wheel spacers if your wheels have more than 4" of back spacing.

Replacing all the hardware during a lift is a great idea. Find a local bolt and hardware supply store (not Home Depot/Lowes/Ace/whatever. A real bolt store.) You can source all the bolts, nuts, and fasteners you need for pennies on the dollar at those retailers.

It's not a bad idea to get a new steering stabilizer, but far from required. Steering that is set up correctly doesn't really need one.

Again, don't buy Rough Country.

To run 35s you need to address the following:
Steering (35s are a lot of tire and steering needs to be set up correctly)
Brakes (Again, a lot of tire will require better brake systems for safety.)
Axles (The rear axle needs to be replaced)
Drive line (A sye/cv shaft is HIGHLY recommended)
Tire clearance (A quality lift kit, fender trimming/cutting, etc)
Brake lines (At a minimum they will need to be relocated)
Bump stops (Don't want that 35 shredding a fender or a fender shredding a tire)
Gears (you'll need to regear to have much power left to run the 35s)
Wheels (3.5-4.25 backspacing to have them fit best)

Hope that helps you start researching along the right lines!
Congrats on the YJ and welcome to the cool kids table!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
Welcome to the forum! This is one of the most asked questions on here. Do some searching and you'll find more threads than you could possibly read. You'll also find that there are a thousand different ways to skin this cat so-to-speak... First off, why do you want/need 35s? There is a fairly hard line between running 33s and running 35s correctly, with 35s requiring a significantly higher investment of time and money. Seeing that you have been looking at RC products, I feel it's safe to assume that you are on a tight budget which tells me that 35s are out of your range right now. Do not buy RC springs. As others have said, look to Old Man Emu, BDS, or Rubicon Express for springs. The best budget springs seem to be those from Zone Offroad. Check them out. That said, how much are you willing to cut the body? With zero cutting, you'll need close to 6" of combined lift to fit 35s. This can be achieved with a quality 4" spring, a 1" body lift, and a 1" shackle lift. Never get a body lift or shackle lift greater than 1"... Next, axles. The stock rear axle will not last with 35s and is questionable with 33s. You will need to swap that out to run anything bigger than stock tires in the long run, but it is a priority if going over 33s. Search and read up on ford 8.8 axle swaps. Yes you will want an sye/cv shaft. Again read up on these so you know why... You will only need wheel spacers if your wheels have more than 4" of back spacing. Replacing all the hardware during a lift is a great idea. Find a local bolt and hardware supply store (not Home Depot/Lowes/Ace/whatever. A real bolt store.) You can source all the bolts, nuts, and fasteners you need for pennies on the dollar at those retailers. It's not a bad idea to get a new steering stabilizer, but far from required. Steering that is set up correctly doesn't really need one. Again, don't buy Rough Country. To run 35s you need to address the following: Steering (35s are a lot of tire and steering needs to be set up correctly) Brakes (Again, a lot of tire will require better brake systems for safety.) Axles (The rear axle needs to be replaced) Drive line (A sye/cv shaft is HIGHLY recommended) Tire clearance (A quality lift kit, fender trimming/cutting, etc) Brake lines (At a minimum they will need to be relocated) Bump stops (Don't want that 35 shredding a fender or a fender shredding a tire) Gears (you'll need to regear to have much power left to run the 35s) Wheels (3.5-4.25 backspacing to have them fit best) Hope that helps you start researching along the right lines! Congrats on the YJ and welcome to the cool kids table! Cheers

^ This ^ X infinity = Saving money in the long run.
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job, Brycen. You just spoonfed young Ian all of the ingredients to a happy, healthy YJ lift without all of that nagging search button bs. How high are his expectations now that he sees what his first post will produce. This, my friend, is the root cause for the pussification of our beloved America.

YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Sundodger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ian, listen to these guys. I was not a member when I did my lift on my 92' and am hating myself for going with RC. My springs are already bent and sagging less than a year after doing the lift. I will be going with the RE XD springs later this year. Whether you go RE, BDS, OME, get the kit which includes all the hardware. I didn't have the pitman arm removal tool so I never got around to swapping that out and things seem just fine. I got rid of the sway bars and love the way the Jeep handles now. The PO had a 1.5" body lift and something like 3" shackles. I got rid of those shackles and went with Currie Boomerang, greasable shackles and the 4" lift. I still need to get 1.5" wheel spacers because my 33"X12.5" BF Goodrich Mud and AT tires rub on the springs. They also rub on my stock fender flares so those are going away soon in favor of MetalCloak fenders. The other must is the Slip Yoke Eliminator so that you don't have to drop your transfer case. I didn't do my research here, went cheap and now have to redo almost the whole lift.
Sundodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Nice job, Brycen. You just spoonfed young Ian all of the ingredients to a happy, healthy YJ lift without all of that nagging search button bs. How high are his expectations now that he sees what his first post will produce. This, my friend, is the root cause for the pussification of our beloved America.

I was in a giving mood haha. 'Tis the season lol.

I will be sure to be more vague and ambiguous in the future.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
I was in a giving mood haha. 'Tis the season lol.

I will be sure to be more vague and ambiguous in the future

Cheers
One can only hope!
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help needed , lift advice , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.