Need Help With Whole Steering Column (Turn signal/windshield wiper, ignition switch) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help With Whole Steering Column (Turn signal/windshield wiper, ignition switch)

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
allengba
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need Help With Whole Steering Column (Turn signal/windshield wiper, ignition switch)

I own a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande. I'm in the middle of replacing some parts on my steering column and im stuck with trying to get the ignition switch out. I have the Haynes manual but it gets very flip-floppidity and i cant find where to go next or what its saying. I've pulled the steering wheel, took off the plastic pieces in the steering wheel itself for the turn signal/brights/windshield wipers and fluid, but i cant find out how to remove the lever for the turn signal/brights/windshield wipers and fluid or the ignition switch (whatever the key goes into), and i still have one of the two rods that run from the steering wheel area to the back of the column. The one thats still there is the one that is on top.
If available pictures would definitely help. More so if you can point me in the right direction with mine.
The pictures are where i am at now.
and that last picture is a piece that randomly fell out as i was trying to shake the column free....
would like to know where that goes later.
Sorry for the massive photos also. Just took them from my phone and uploaded them. At least it shows detail!

img_1879.jpg   img_0654.jpg   img_0286.jpg  
allengba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
allengba
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the turn signal lever just pulls straight out, the lock cyl simply slides out.... you already removed the torx head retainer screw as evidenced by your photos
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
allengba
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i tried that and it wont come loose.. It still feels like theres something keeping it in.
I mean any help with which way the key has to be positioned? or maybe something that still has to be disconnected further down the column?
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
heyvern
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you know any GM guys, I think you will find that your steering column is exactly the same as what was in an S10. I have a friend that is a former GM mechanic who picked right up on that for my 94 when I broke the turn signal lever off trying to work under the dash.
heyvern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
allengba
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No, unfortunately i do not. I mean i cant see at all how the outside lever slides out with the way i have it. And neither the ignition. I cant find out how to get the rod to disconnect from the upper portion of the column either. As i figure is the only thing keeping this piece in. I just need detail, with what to do first and which way it needs to come out, you know, which way to hold my tongue and position my eyes according to the stars >.<
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
allengba
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, got the ignition switch out. still working on the top rod and the windshield wiper and fluid/brights/turn signal lever. Now i have a Nineteen-Ninety Five (1995) Jeep Wrangler. So its different from the 1994s and 1997s (obviously). And for some reason there was no "torx head retainer screw." I simply needed to push down the release knob on the ignition switch.
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
allengba
1995 YJ Wrangler 

and finally got the knob to come out So when everyone says "it just slides out" that is an understatement you actually have to yank that thing out..... It would of been nice to know that you actually have to do more then pushing a cart down a hill to get it to come out

And to anyone going deeper you do have to detach the top shroud from the middle one to get the unit that the windshield wiper/brights lever attaches to inside the column.
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know I'm late to this thread, but look here, it has all you need to know

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
allengba
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I already looked at that before I posted the thread but I didn't have that screw in there that's on that one. Plus that's definitely not a 95' even though the steering column looks the same.
What I had to do was press the button on the ignition switch through a hole that was to the left of the little thingy mcbobber that l looked like the second picture. Which I had to remove with a paper clip.
image-2600013072.jpg   image-922306405.jpg  
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
aeewsdt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i opted to change the entire steering column... Took me @ an hour total. Just sayin...
aeewsdt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.